Why won't the bootrom version show up in WinXP Device Mgr iPhone 3G 3.1.3 BB 06.15.00

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Granitel, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Granitel, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

Granitel macrumors member

Googling for how to determine the BOOTROM version of a recently activated/jailbroken/unlocked iPhone 3G BB 06.15.00, I followed the instructions below on Windows XP but there is no "Device Instance Path".

What did I do wrong?

Here is what I did:
    1. Recently I downgraded the iPhone 3G from iOS 4.2.1 to 3.3.1 (gory details here):
    * How to resolve locked up jailbroken iPhone stuck in "recovery mode" (see pictures)

2. I googled for the steps to find the BOOTROM version.

3. The serial number 3rd, 4th, & 5th characters indicate the iPhone was built in the 25th week of 2008, which would imply the 359.3 BOOTROM version (but since this phone was purchased off of Craigslist already jailbroken with the iPad baseband, that's not a foolproof method).

4. This is the WinXP method I followed to determine the BOOTROM version:
    a) I booted the WinXP PC (iTunes was not running)
    b) I turned on the iPhone 3G iOS 3.1.3 BB 06.15.00
    c) I connected the iPhone 3G to the WinXP PC
    d) I launched iTunes 10.5.0.142 & waited for it to recognize the iPhone 3G
    e) After iTunes recognized the iPhone 3G, I powered off the iPhone 3G
    f) I waited for 10 seconds once the iPhone 3G was switched off
    g) I simultaneously held the iPhone 3G Power & Home buttons for 10 seconds
    h) I released the iPhone 3G Power button after the first 10 seconds but held onto the Home button until I saw the following message on iTunes:
    Code:
    "iTunes must check the iPod software update server to identify this device"
    i) I right clicked on the WinXP My Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus Controllers -> Apple Mobile Device USB Driver -> Properties -> Details and looked for "Device Instance Path" from the dropdown list. It wasn't there!
    j) I was expecting to see the "Device Instance Path = [IBOOT-574.4]" or something like that in the string; but the property didn't exist!

5. I tried this multiple times, on two different WinXP computers.

6. Now I was stuck in DFU mode with nothing to show for it.

a) After googling how to exit DFU mode, I held the Home button & the Power button for about 10 seconds.
    b) Since the iPhone 3G was connected to the WinXP PC, I heard a beep as the USB device was disconnected.
    c) Then, I pressed the Power button and the iPhone 3G exited DFU mode & powered up to the apple logo & slide-to-unlock screen.

7. Now I was back running normally; except I had nothing to show for the effort.

My question:
    Q: What did I do wrong that the Device Instance Path was not there?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Bootrom version only apply to 3GS, yours is 3G.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bootrom is for the 3GS to determine if it's forever untethered jb or not.
    You mean boot loader for the 3G to downgrade with fuzzyband the baseband version?

4. Granitel, Oct 29, 2011

Granitel thread starter macrumors member

I tried to find my baseband bootloader version ... but failed (so far)

Ah. I did not realize that.

When I researched how to downgrade, some DIYs said they would not work if the bootrom was the updated bootrom.
    - Here’s How To Downgrade iPhone 06.15.00 Baseband to 05.13.xx (iPhone 3G Bootloader 5.8 Only)
    - How to Downgrade iPhone 3GS Baseband using PwnageTool_4.1.3
    - how to downgrade iPhone 3G baseband from 6.15 to older
    etc.

I had no idea WHAT bootrom I have ... so I was trying to figure out what the bootrom version was to find out what situations applied to my iPhone.

If I can just ignore the bootrom... I'm happy with that.

Oh oh! Another term to google!

The baseband bootloader === the code which runs before the baseband FW; it's responsible for signature checking and updating the baseband.

On WinXP, here's what I did to check the boot loader version:
    1. I downloaded BBUpdaterExtreme to my WinXP PC
    2. I downloaded & installed WinSCP to my WinXP PC
    3. Connecting to my home WiFi network, I found my IP address using:
    * Settings -> Wi-Fi -> {network name} -> {blue arrow} -> IP Address
    4. While connected to WiFi, I tethered the iPhone 3G to the WinXP PC
    5. In Windows, I started WinSCP and entered the following at the login "Session" tab:
    * HOSTNAME = the hostname found in step 3 above
    * LOGIN = root
    * PASSWORD = alpine
    * PORT = 22
    6. Unfortunately, that 'should' have allowed me to log into the iPhone to run the necessary steps to check the boot loader version; but it failed with a network-communication error.

Have any of you used 'WinSCP" before?
    Do I need to add a program to the iPhone to allow FTP transfers?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So to make things simple what are you trying to accomplish?

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Like AJ said, what are you trying to accomplish? You have a working unlocked Iphone 3G with 3.1.3 now.

Are you still trying to see if you can get your kid's information back?

If you want to see you can downgrade the baseband on this phone, then there are simple ways to do it.
    1. Install fuzzyband from Cydia and run it, it will tell you whether your phone has 05.08 bootloader or higher.

2. or just download tiny umbrella, hook your phone up and run it, it will tell you bootloader of your phone.

7. Granitel, Oct 29, 2011

I would like to downgrade the baseband back to what it 'should' have been in the days of the 3.1.3 (so as to forestall problems such as GPS issues that I found out in my googling I probably have).

I did google first, but didn't find the Fuzzyband or Tiny Umbrella solution of determining the bootloader version; I only found the Windows method shown above (amongst MAC methods; but I don't have a Mac).

Luckily, I already have Tiny Umbrella installed since I used it to downgrade the iOS from 4.2.1 to 3.1.3, and will download Fuzzyband to try to identify the bootloader version. Thanks for the tip.

My kid is on an overnight Halloween play date so I'll have to wait for the phone to come back home to test & report.

EDIT: I just noticed in post #7 of this thread:
    - HOW TO UNBRICK IPHONE TUTORIAL (Phone gets stuck restoring)
    that Tiny Umbrella reported during the iOS downgrade that the baseband was 06.15.00-5.9.
    Maybe it's just coincidence, but, perchance, does the "5.9" part of that number provide any information about the bootloader version (which, I suspect, is 359.3)?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh ok, that makes sense then.
    You have to be JB and open cydia to install fuzzyband.
    That will check what bootloader you have and if its the compatible one you can then select to downgrade your baseband so you can be unlocked and have your GPS function again.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

9. Granitel, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

My bootloader version is not downgradable. Sigh. (What GPS problems will I have?)

Drat. Here are the Fuzzyband results:

• Fuzzyband 4.1
    • Bootloader Version: 05.09 [G2M3S2]
    • Baseband Version: ICE2-06.15.00
    • iPhone OS Version: 3.1.3
    • Not Supported
    • Sorry, downgrading will only work with Baseband Bootloader 05.08

I wonder what my options are, and, why the original jailbreaker would opt to put on a bootloader version that disallows GPS?

Now that I'm stuck with the iPad baseband, I will need to google for what specific GPS problems I should expect.

Since I'm an iNewbie, as always, if you can provide hints and/or pointers, it will be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

Addendum: Apparently Tiny Umbrella 'did' report the bootloader version (I just didn't know how to interpret it):

• Tiny Umbrella, on WinXP reports:
    • Device Model = MB702LL/A - iPhone3G
    • Installed Firmware Version = 3.1.3
    • Installed Baseband Version = 06.15.00-5.9_M3S2
    • Note: I'm guessing the 5.9 is 'apparently' the bootloader version 05.09?

Attached Files:

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep sorry you're sol for now.
    Nothing you can do to remove the iPad bb.
    Maybe something will come out in the future, maybe not.

11. Granitel thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

Being wholly new to the iPhone, I 'do' appreciate the kind help, as, I know you don't have to help me. (Hopefully the detail I put in my threads will help others though ... so you're leveraging a lot when/if you help me, I hope.)

I'll google for what problems I should expect.

One thing I wanted to do, for safety, was be able to know where my kid was, at any time, via GPS from the Internet.

I guess that's out now?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Give it a shot. There's a few odd cases where the gps still functions even with the ipad bb but those chances are slim.

13. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

May be, sell this phone on your local craiglist or trade up to a 3GS with an older baseband so you can unlock without using Ipad baseband. It is little hard to find 3GS with older baseband, but these are still available.