Why Wont Verizon Move Upgrade Date for iPhone but WILL for Android??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aeronauticsrock, Sep 12, 2012.

1. aeronauticsrock macrumors member

Both of my lines on a family plan with unlimited data are eligible for an upgrade 10/19/12.

Tried 4 times to get them to move me up, even to October 1st and no luck. I have been told on multiple occasions that if I wanted to upgrade to an android device, it's no problem to do early.

The reps claim vzw has a contract with apple that prevents them from moving upgrade dates.

1) is this true? If so, why would apple want that? Earlier upgrades = more phone sales.

2) any non-ridiculous way to get the phone earlier without buying it for $650?

Thanks!

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Verizon pays Apple $100 more for phones than they do Samsung or Motorola. That's why they restrict upgrades. They make less money selling Apple phones.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Yep.

Simple business. All comes down to what the carrier has to pay for YOUR phone to the manufacture.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

APPLE says they can't. Thats word on the street, anyway.

5. MakeItAMudLight macrumors newbie

MakeItAMudLight

I think this is just there way to keep people from staying with or moving to the iPhone. They are always pushing me to upgrade to an Android device it seems.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

Apple couldn't care less, as long as they get their money from selling their phones and sell as many as they can ship to Verizon. I'm sure they'd love it if Verizon made it easier for 4S buyers to get the 5.

7. macjunkie33 macrumors member

They should

AT&T has announced they are allowing early upgrades so Verizon may clarify this tomorrow. You'd think they would want any customer new or old to sign a new contract and herd them to a tiered plan.

8. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Don't be so sure with whole "Apple couldn't care less".

They wanted a zoo for release of iPad 2, and they created one, by saying that it can hit the street on launch date and no earlier than 5pm. And without an option of pre-order. They knew they will sell a lot of units, but they wanted cash and a show too. Who knows what they are thinking with iPhone 5

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Tim Cook is about managing the supply chain. They didn't have long lines for the new iPad release, but still sold more than ever. The more pre-orders they sell, the bigger the number of phones they can brag about selling in the press release on Monday, September 24th.

Under Steve, there were fewer leaks, but under Tim Cook, there is a LOT more product available at launch date. I'd bet that Steve and Tim got into lots of arguments in the past about launch date supplies.

10. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

you'll regret giving up that sweet unlimited LTE.

11. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I'm in the same boat 10/10/12. As much as it pains me its probably worth waiting 20 days. :mad:

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

How so if you're going to buy it anyway? It's not a gain unless you don't buy an iPhone if they don't give you an early upgrade.

Pick your poison. You'll live if you have to wait a bit.

Subjective.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What does that have to do with selling more phones or with the contract that a carrier has with their customer?
    Like the user said above Apple will get their money either way and they would love if everyone can get the latest and newest iphone out there.
    Its usually the carrier trying to blame or point the finger at Apple but in the end its all about money.
    Yes, the iphone costs way more than all those android phones out there and the carriers have more profit and more room to play with other manufacturers devices.

14. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

Where did they announce this?

or do you mean the early upgrade that is 250 more

15. infinity12402 macrumors member

I had been complaining about my phone, and had it swapped out four times prior to this, but it's worth a shot. I called them on tues saying I hated my phone, it was a piece of crap (which it is) and that I wanted them to move my upgrade up, but I wanted to go into the store the next day to look at a phone. Here I now am with an upgrade waiting for me. Oh, and I made absolutely no mention of the iPhone. Although he did mention it to me afterwards. So maybe he just didn't care....

16. aeronauticsrock thread starter macrumors member

I need that reps extension haha.

My thinking was that if I get this phone 2 months early and the next 2 months early eventually I'll be able to get a xS iPhone and that would be the extra sale.

Oh well waiting until the 19th won't kill me. Thanks!

17. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

because no matter WHAT Android phone you get on Verizon....there's a new one coming out three months later. So you'll have the flagship phone for 90 days, a contract for 18 months, and see commercials for the newest Android every three months.