Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Why worry about a tall Iphone when in a year from now other phone manufacturers will be releasing similar 4" 16:9 screens to copy the Iphone 5? :p

gta50419

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
no..........If that piece of cheap crap leak is really the iphone 5, Samsung S3 will be the new standard for smartphones.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
no..........If that piece of cheap crap leak is really the iphone 5, Samsung S3 will be the new standard for smartphones.

Haha..

:D

I don't like the S2 but I will say it is faster than some other Android phones.

If Samsung had there way they could sell us a bigger phone every year as they will say it's "better".

The reality is phones are becoming too big and a line has to be drawn between phone and tablet. In a year they will have to give up and work on things like 3D screens and paper thin phones.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Why worry about a tall Iphone when in a year from now other phone manufacturers will be releasing similar 4" 16:9 screens to copy the Iphone 5? :p

There are already 4 inch 16:9 phones. They just don't have huge bezel on the top and bottom.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I don't buy my phones based on the size of the screen. Sure, it has some impact but for the most part it's about the operating system. That's the difference between PCs and Macs. The operating system is what the user is choosing.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
joker11_AND_HERE_WE_GO-s259x194-138013-580.jpg

Brace yourself. The excuses for Apple's shortcomings are coming. Namely, in the form of "we don't need anything they're not offering."

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Haha..

:D

I don't like the S2 but I will say it is faster than some other Android phones.

If Samsung had there way they could sell us a bigger phone every year as they will say it's "better".

The reality is phones are becoming too big and a line has to be drawn between phone and tablet. In a year they will have to give up and work on things like 3D screens and paper thin phones.

Apple iPhonePad.... 7.8" and 9.7" Models... Can I reserve one now?

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009

Jeez...I hate when people say the tablet comparison thing. My 4.8" S3 fits perfectly in my pocket and in one hand. It's LIGHTER and THINNER than my iPhone 4S and LESS intrusive in my pocket. A tablet would NEVER fit in my pocket.

Do you and your kind FINALLY get this difference? :rolleyes:

P.S. the taller iPhone is ALREADY copying the 16:9 aspect ratio from Android (and other) phones / tablets. And no phone is ever going to purposely shrink to 4" to match the already outdated iPhone 5.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Jeez...I hate when people say the tablet comparison thing. My 4.8" S3 fits perfectly in my pocket and in one hand. It's LIGHTER and THINNER than my iPhone 4S and LESS intrusive in my pocket. A tablet would NEVER fit in my pocket.

Do you and your kind FINLLY get this difference? :rolleyes:

P.S. the taller iPhone is ALREADY copying the 16:9 aspect ratio from Android (and other) phones / tablets. And no phone is ever going to purposely shrick to 4" to match the already outdated iPhone 5.

I agree with this part...b.c it is so much thinner it actually feels better in the pocket. C'mon though, you cannot really say it fits better in one hand.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I agree with this part...b.c it is so much thinner it actually feels better in the pocket. C'mon though, you cannot really say it fits better in one hand.

I didn't say it fots BETTER in one hand, just that it fits perfectly fine. It doesn't seem too big in my hand at all, and I have small hands.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Agreed... I simply do not understand their decision, I hope there is a good explanation on Sep 12.

There is a good explanation. Apple looks at the big picture, not just a few enthusiasts that want it wider. Take a look at the total sales compare to how many on this forum that want wider. Millions buy and a couple of handfuls that rant on this forum for a wider one. Apple knows exactly what its doing. Sales do not lie. If you want wider, go and select a number of Android phones today...

Oh, and here is the correct picture of the new iphone 5 compared to the iphone 4S. You know, the other picture on another thread that looks about the same but the iphone 5 looked wider in that picture and you commented on and hoped for. Now you see it as being the same width. Some times a pictured is altered a bit.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-09 at 12.14.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-09 at 12.14.03 PM.png
    137.7 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
There is a good explanation. Apple looks at the big picture, not just a few enthusiasts that want it wider. Take a look at the total sales compare to how many on this forum that want wider. Millions buy and a couple of handfuls that rant on this forum for a wider one. Apple knows exactly what its doing. Sales do not lie.

Oh, and here is the correct picture of the new iphone 5 compared to the iphone 4S. You know, the other picture on another thread that looks about the same but the iphone 5 looked wider in that picture and you commented on and hoped for

because people will buy anything with an Apple logo on it.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
There is a good explanation. Apple looks at the big picture, not just a few enthusiasts that want it wider. Take a look at the total sales compare to how many on this forum that want wider. Millions buy and a couple of handfuls that rant on this forum for a wider one. Apple knows exactly what its doing. Sales do not lie. If you want wider, go and select a number of Android phones today...

Oh, and here is the correct picture of the new iphone 5 compared to the iphone 4S. You know, the other picture on another thread that looks about the same but the iphone 5 looked wider in that picture and you commented on and hoped for. Now you see it as being the same width. Some times a pictured is altered a bit.

That photo shows it a little wider as well when you look closely, its all in the camera angle. The new phone will be wider slightly because the glass is expected to be flush with the metal casing (the unibody).

Also, plently of people want a wider phone, and plenty of people do not think 4.5" + is too big. Look at the sales for the GS3 as a great example. Look at how many DIE HARD apple fans are crossing over to it.

And my point of hoping for a good explanation, is because I want there to be significant justification other than more adequate viewing of video media. A reason it is beneficial to us, one where I think to myself, "Ah, that is a good reason"... Not for video, its a phone, so I do not think that is a good reason.

And I am allowed to have whatever opinion I want to. and I am tired of people telling me to switch to Android. Been there, done that. I can ask for/want more all I want. I think 4" is too small still. a 4.3 to 4.5" screen @ 16:9 would not be much wider than the 4" version, but it would result in a significantly bigger screen. And allow Apple to stand up better against Androids bigger screens. I think iOS is better, so I want an iPhone, I have owned every model thus far. But I would still like a bigger one.

----------

I do not understand some people's need to just attack others for having a different opinion then them.

retinarob

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2012
VA

I just picked up my 4, and noticed that no part of my hand actually touches the top edge or the bottom edge, so a taller iPhone would really be no different. Even with two hands, I only touch the bottom, so unless it was really top heavy, no problems there either. Make it wider, and you might have a case. Thinner arguably provides a better grip, as the phone is commonly held between the last knuckles on my fingers. Thus, offering a better wrap around grip with my pinky, ring, and middle fingers.

Or am I being too optimistic?

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I just picked up my 4, and noticed that no part of my hand actually touches the top edge or the bottom edge, so a taller iPhone would really be no different. Even with two hands, I only touch the bottom, so unless it was really top heavy, no problems there either. Make it wider, and you might have a case. Thinner arguably provides a better grip, as the phone is commonly held between the last knuckles on my fingers. Thus, offering a better wrap around grip with my pinky, ring, and middle fingers.

Or am I being too optimistic?

When I hold my iPhone, my pinky rests under the phone to prevent it from sliding down and out of my hand.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
because people will buy anything with an Apple logo on it.

Apple's poor sales of the Apple Hi Fi and Bluetooth headset say otherwise. People buy good product but they've got no problem keeping their money in their wallet if they don't see the value.

That photo shows it a little wider as well when you look closely, its all in the camera angle. The new phone will be wider slightly because the glass is expected to be flush with the metal casing (the unibody).

Also, plently of people want a wider phone, and plenty of people do not think 4.5" + is too big. Look at the sales for the GS3 as a great example. Look at how many DIE HARD apple fans are crossing over to it.

And my point of hoping for a good explanation, is because I want there to be significant justification other than more adequate viewing of video media. A reason it is beneficial to us, one where I think to myself, "Ah, that is a good reason"... Not for video, its a phone, so I do not think that is a good reason.

And I am allowed to have whatever opinion I want to. and I am tired of people telling me to switch to Android. Been there, done that. I can ask for/want more all I want. I think 4" is too small still. a 4.3 to 4.5" screen @ 16:9 would not be much wider than the 4" version, but it would result in a significantly bigger screen. And allow Apple to stand up better against Androids bigger screens. I think iOS is better, so I want an iPhone, I have owned every model thus far. But I would still like a bigger one.

Hey I want a bigger phone too but it's not such an issue that i'm not willing to wait for it.

I think Apple's just on a slow path towards upgrading the size. They're going to go slow so that developer impact is low and quality UI stays high. They are still selling more 3.5 inch screens than all the other sizes.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/08/08/q2-2012-smartphone-market-share-us-npd/

retinarob

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2012
VA
I wasn't disagreeing with you earlier. I use my pointer finger to lock the phone. It would have to be a tiny phone for my thumb to work. lol

It was a good point that you made earlier! (just like this one). Honestly, with the size of my hands, and a pinky resting under it for support, if the phone got much taller it definitely would be difficult to lock 100% comfortably.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.