Why would ANYONE actually prefer stock instead of jailbreak?

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Why would anyone limit themselves to stock iOS versus the tremendous benefits of jailbreak? Especially given how safe and easy it is to simply restore your device :confused:

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I think it's pretty safe to say that more people are stock than jailbroken. I couldn't care less about have 30 apps in my dock, or live wallpapers, or an alternate UI. Sure, some things like free tethering are nice, but I'd rather be stock than jailbroken.

It's not because I don't personally want to jailbreak, but what kind of question is this? :apple:

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Security issues?
Software Update Issues?
Issues restoring IOS?

Some of us are happy with stock IOS, some of you are not.

Let everyone choose, why should we care what someone likes does one way or the other?

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Outside of these geek forums and other like minded techie groups the general public doesn't even have a clue what 'jailbreaking' means. Didn't Cydia release statistics showing that about 1,300,000 iDevices were jailbroken? If so that would mean less than 1% of all devices were 'rooted' considering the number of iDevices sold is well past 100,000,000.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
My old 4 was jail broken and I enjoyed the different ways I could make the iPhone work. We all know apple keep an eye on this and have integrated jb tweaks into stock ones.

I initially jb because Apple said I couldn't have Siri on my iPhone 4 and wanted to test their reasons on why not ,and then moved on from there into more depths into the jb community.

This iPhone was stolen so I bought the 4s and have remained stock.

After a couple of weeks I don't miss most of them. Winter board did cause slight lag even after its most recent update. I only used two paid for themes !

Last edited:

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
Whenever I jailbroke, a few weeks later it would be super slow. Simply from new installing lots of crap that's simply not needed - but I see it on cydia and think "ooh that looks cool". Although theming really did slow the phone down so I stayed away from that after learning early on.

Infact, if ever I jailbreak now, it's to patch commcenter and enable tethering natively - that's all.

cambookpro

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I don't JB on my main phone as I usually like to upgrade to the newest OS straight away. I know you can save the blobs and then jailbreak when one comes out, but it seems a bit of a palaver to me.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Why would I prefer to jailbreak?

It doesn't offer me anything that I want or need, I'm very happy with a stock device.

I also want to get the latest iOS update as soon as it's available. For my purposes, I see no reason to jailbreak.

I got over the 'cool customisations' a long time ago, and never been into pirating apps.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
I'd jailbreak for SSH and Activator alone. Tweaks like FolderEnhancer, Springtomize, Actionmenu etc are just icing on the cake. Not to mention apps that you just can't get on the App Store.

Some people, like the Forum Police on apple's own forums for example, will have you believe that your phone gets broken into the minute you jailbreak, but in reality there are no security issues. Change the password if you install SSH and don't install cracked apps and you'll never get hacked.

cperchard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
I jailbreaked my iPhone 4 and liked it for about a week.....then I realised....IT'S SLOW AS HELL!!!

No way is it worth the lagginess of the phone to JB it.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
Why would I prefer to jailbreak?

It doesn't offer me anything that I want or need, I'm very happy with a stock device.

I also want to get the latest iOS update as soon as it's available. For my purposes, I see no reason to jailbreak.

I got over the 'cool customisations' a long time ago, and never been into pirating apps.
you dont care about tethering for free?
or using facetime for free..considering they are going to charge for it on the 5..
There are tons of little things that make the phone that much better.
being able to change brightness, location services, wi fi in a one button click way.

Also it is as safe as the stock version.
ive been jailbreaking for 4 years now.

cperchard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Fact: jailbreaking in itself doesn't make your phone any slower.
Maybe not....but when u install any useful tweaks then it does.....what's the point in Jailbreaking if u don't actually add any tweaks? Literally any will slow it down.

I went back to stock a month ago and it still feels like a new phone

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
Maybe not....but when u install any useful tweaks then it does.....what's the point in Jailbreaking if u don't actually add any tweaks? Literally any will slow it down.

I went back to stock a month ago and it still feels like a new phone
installing the basics doesnt slow it down

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
I have plenty of useful tweaks, but it didn't make my phone slower. I'd argue it seems faster now since I can shorten animation times. What tweaks in particular are you talking about?

cperchard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
installing the basics doesnt slow it down
Well it does.....big time.....just loading up safari takes aaaagggess

----------

I have plenty of useful tweaks, but it didn't make my phone slower. I'd argue it seems faster now since I can shorten animation times. What tweaks in particular are you talking about?
Just things like springtomize, winter board, spire, and sbsettings....that's pretty much all I had

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Why would anyone limit themselves to stock iOS versus the tremendous benefits of jailbreak? Especially given how safe and easy it is to simply restore your device :confused:
I thought one of the major benefits of iOS was the secure, locked-down, Apple approved system? Jailbreaking breaks all that insurance.

I would argue, if you have to jailbreak a phone to make it better, why are you buying that phone? Why isn't Apple making it better in the first place?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I like how reliable the stock phone and App Store are, and now there are very few features/apps I can think of that would require jailbreaking. Maybe the ability to record an incoming call without trying to figure out the nonsense that is Google Voice. It's legal in my state, so why oh why can't I?

Now if you want to talk unlocked phones, that's another matter. I read somewhere that even when my contract is up with Verizon and I can unlock the phone, that doesn't mean it will work on AT&T and Sprint EVEN THOUGH IT'S THE SAME EXACT HARDWARE. That's just nonsense and hurts the resale/"give it to my parents" value.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
I thought one of the major benefits of iOS was the secure, locked-down, Apple approved system? Jailbreaking breaks all that insurance.

I would argue, if you have to jailbreak a phone to make it better, why are you buying that phone? Why isn't Apple making it better in the first place?
thats why ios has integrated some things that jailbreaking has always has...

they get ideas from the stuff that we've been doing for years.

Also they like to charge for things and keep things on lock down. dont you want more options?

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
dont you want more options?
Yes, I absolutely do. But that's why I left iOS earlier in the year and went to Android. I became very frustrated by the iPhone's lack of customisation and automation (it's a computer, so there's so much it could do that Apple won't let it do!).

I never fancied Jailbreaking because I was concerned that there may be security issues and I just felt that I shouldn't need to fiddle around with a product to make it work.