Why would ANYONE actually prefer stock instead of jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big.Mac.Daddy, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Why would anyone limit themselves to stock iOS versus the tremendous benefits of jailbreak? Especially given how safe and easy it is to simply restore your device :confused:

2. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I think it's pretty safe to say that more people are stock than jailbroken. I couldn't care less about have 30 apps in my dock, or live wallpapers, or an alternate UI. Sure, some things like free tethering are nice, but I'd rather be stock than jailbroken.

It's not because I don't personally want to jailbreak, but what kind of question is this? :apple:

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Security issues?
    Software Update Issues?
    Issues restoring IOS?

Some of us are happy with stock IOS, some of you are not.

Let everyone choose, why should we care what someone likes does one way or the other?

4. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Outside of these geek forums and other like minded techie groups the general public doesn't even have a clue what 'jailbreaking' means. Didn't Cydia release statistics showing that about 1,300,000 iDevices were jailbroken? If so that would mean less than 1% of all devices were 'rooted' considering the number of iDevices sold is well past 100,000,000.

5. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

Because stock is trading at $656.06 whereas jailbreak costs at least $100 per month!

6. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

What phantom "security issues" are you even talking about? You got a source for that?

Issues restoring iOS? Huh? Plug in your phone -> Click restore -> Done :rolleyes:

Which is exactly why I posted the question :p

7. bandofbrothers, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012

bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

My old 4 was jail broken and I enjoyed the different ways I could make the iPhone work. We all know apple keep an eye on this and have integrated jb tweaks into stock ones.

I initially jb because Apple said I couldn't have Siri on my iPhone 4 and wanted to test their reasons on why not ,and then moved on from there into more depths into the jb community.

This iPhone was stolen so I bought the 4s and have remained stock.

After a couple of weeks I don't miss most of them. Winter board did cause slight lag even after its most recent update. I only used two paid for themes !

8. iBreatheApple, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Edited

9. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

I have not done it because I may mess up my phone.

10. biohead macrumors 6502

Whenever I jailbroke, a few weeks later it would be super slow. Simply from new installing lots of crap that's simply not needed - but I see it on cydia and think "ooh that looks cool". Although theming really did slow the phone down so I stayed away from that after learning early on.

Infact, if ever I jailbreak now, it's to patch commcenter and enable tethering natively - that's all.

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I don't JB on my main phone as I usually like to upgrade to the newest OS straight away. I know you can save the blobs and then jailbreak when one comes out, but it seems a bit of a palaver to me.

12. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Why would I prefer to jailbreak?

It doesn't offer me anything that I want or need, I'm very happy with a stock device.

I also want to get the latest iOS update as soon as it's available. For my purposes, I see no reason to jailbreak.

I got over the 'cool customisations' a long time ago, and never been into pirating apps.

13. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

I'd jailbreak for SSH and Activator alone. Tweaks like FolderEnhancer, Springtomize, Actionmenu etc are just icing on the cake. Not to mention apps that you just can't get on the App Store.

Some people, like the Forum Police on apple's own forums for example, will have you believe that your phone gets broken into the minute you jailbreak, but in reality there are no security issues. Change the password if you install SSH and don't install cracked apps and you'll never get hacked.

14. cperchard macrumors 6502a

I jailbreaked my iPhone 4 and liked it for about a week.....then I realised....IT'S SLOW AS HELL!!!

No way is it worth the lagginess of the phone to JB it.

15. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

you dont care about tethering for free?
    or using facetime for free..considering they are going to charge for it on the 5..
    There are tons of little things that make the phone that much better.
    being able to change brightness, location services, wi fi in a one button click way.

Also it is as safe as the stock version.
    ive been jailbreaking for 4 years now.

16. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Fact: jailbreaking in itself doesn't make your phone any slower.

17. cperchard macrumors 6502a

Maybe not....but when u install any useful tweaks then it does.....what's the point in Jailbreaking if u don't actually add any tweaks? Literally any will slow it down.

I went back to stock a month ago and it still feels like a new phone

18. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

installing the basics doesnt slow it down

19. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Never had any lag with my 4 or 4S with themes applied via Winterboard.

20. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

I have plenty of useful tweaks, but it didn't make my phone slower. I'd argue it seems faster now since I can shorten animation times. What tweaks in particular are you talking about?

21. cperchard macrumors 6502a

Well it does.....big time.....just loading up safari takes aaaagggess

----------

Just things like springtomize, winter board, spire, and sbsettings....that's pretty much all I had

22. tekno macrumors 6502a

I thought one of the major benefits of iOS was the secure, locked-down, Apple approved system? Jailbreaking breaks all that insurance.

I would argue, if you have to jailbreak a phone to make it better, why are you buying that phone? Why isn't Apple making it better in the first place?

23. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I like how reliable the stock phone and App Store are, and now there are very few features/apps I can think of that would require jailbreaking. Maybe the ability to record an incoming call without trying to figure out the nonsense that is Google Voice. It's legal in my state, so why oh why can't I?

Now if you want to talk unlocked phones, that's another matter. I read somewhere that even when my contract is up with Verizon and I can unlock the phone, that doesn't mean it will work on AT&T and Sprint EVEN THOUGH IT'S THE SAME EXACT HARDWARE. That's just nonsense and hurts the resale/"give it to my parents" value.

24. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

thats why ios has integrated some things that jailbreaking has always has...

they get ideas from the stuff that we've been doing for years.

Also they like to charge for things and keep things on lock down. dont you want more options?

25. tekno macrumors 6502a

Yes, I absolutely do. But that's why I left iOS earlier in the year and went to Android. I became very frustrated by the iPhone's lack of customisation and automation (it's a computer, so there's so much it could do that Apple won't let it do!).

I never fancied Jailbreaking because I was concerned that there may be security issues and I just felt that I shouldn't need to fiddle around with a product to make it work.