Why would anyone buy a iPhone 7 (aka 6SII) when we know about iPhone 8?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by freepomme, Aug 9, 2016.

1. freepomme, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016

freepomme macrumors 6502a

Microsoft did this with the Xbox One S. "We're coming out with this device, but the real new Xbox is coming after that."

Well, then why come out with the product at all? Now that we KNOW about the iPhone 8, we're not going to buy this phone WE'RE GONNA WAIT.

If you look at the phone, it looks just like an iPhone 6s. And with what we've been hearing, it pretty much IS an iPhone 6sII.

It's literally the nothing new iPhone. They did this before with the infamous "iPad 3"

2. RedOrchestra Suspended

Maybe, just maybe, because most of us use it as a telephone, email, iMessage device and not a status symbol that you wave around in public saying ... hey, look at me!

3. BLUEBLASTER macrumors regular

BLUEBLASTER

Me. I'm going to buy one. I have the Note 4 and I want an upgrade. Never had an iPhone so I'm going to buy this.

4. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

To call this year's iPhone the equivalent of the ipad3 is way premature.

Way premature.

5. comptr macrumors 65816

Well maybe because they have a iPhone 6 and never upgraded to the 6s.

6. 0928001 Suspended

We know about the iPhone 8, 9, 10, etc. because they come out with one every year. We actually don't know anything about the 2017 iPhone.

This is a bad topic.

7. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Actually, you KNOW little about either phone. Apple is always going to release another phone. Silly post, in my view.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps someone with a 4, or 4s, or 5, or 5s, or 5c would like to upgrade at this point and whatever the new phone will be this year will be quite an upgrade for them?

9. BruceButtcheeks macrumors member

BruceButtcheeks

Why would anyone buy anything knowing the successor is just around the corner? Keep those tube tv's and flip phones and Atari 2600's and never be disappointed!

10. AmazingTechGeek macrumors 6502

AmazingTechGeek

Maybe because some people don't want to wait an extra year based on rumors, valid or not.

11. Cutiekitty92 macrumors 68000

Cutiekitty92

Because some people think its like pokemon... gotta catcha em all ;)

12. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

All these people waiting for this "anniversary super phone" are going to end up just being super disappointed.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Microsoft didn't do this with the S. They made no such announcement and nobody knew about the S until about 6 months ago; the console is nearly three years old.

We also don't know a darn thing about the iPhone 8, or whatever it will be called, except that it is fair to assume it will be superior in many ways to whatever came before it. This has been true every single year...
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2016 ---
    Probably. But I can;t be more disappointed with the iPhone than I am now lol. Apple watch is looking good though.

14. freepomme, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016

freepomme thread starter macrumors 6502a

On the business side, there's not enough of them. The 6s 2—(I'm going to call it the 6s 2) the 6s 2, I'm not sure that there's anything about that phone... that would make people—who are already more likely to sit on those older phones—want to jump out and buy this one when the real iPhone 7 is right around the corner! Apple can't rely on that subset of users to get them through the quarter.

I mean... when sales numbers don't meet Apple's expectations, they don't release the numbers. This could be the big pitfall investors have been trying to warn us about. It's a pitfall that can't be mitigated.

But why are people not alarmed by this scenario? That Apple is going to put a flagship phone on HOLD, a cop out, just so they can release "the big one" a year later, JUST because it's an Anniversary?

I'm glad you asked! Because I'm going to tell you:

The reason you won't find people so alarmed by the thought that everyone would be inclined to skip this iPhone (the 6s 2) in numbers never-before-seen... is because largely nobody believes the rumor.

Nobody really believes that Apple, in it's current dilemma, needing a hit, that they would purposely waste a valuable launch just because of an anniversary date. I mean, when has Apple ever done that before? When has any company done that?

THEY NEED THIS MONEY! They can't afford people to skimp out on this. They can't rely on those late upgraders, there's not enough of them! There's just not enough!! Perfectly evidenced by the release of the iPhone SE and the sales of the iPhone 6s!!

Speaking for myself, I don't believe it!

And if I DID believe it, if Apple came out and said that or there was real evidence... then I would think that it would be a situation of Apple doesn't have the materials yet, somethings awry!

And THAT's why Apple has to release a 6s 2. There's nothing else they can do!

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

There's a few reasons:

1. You need a new phone and you can't wait a year.
    2. You upgrade every year anyway
    3. You don't follow tech blogs and websites and have no idea what next year's iPhone is rumoured to offer.
    4. You do follow tech rumours but you know that they are just rumours and not guaranteed to be reliable more than a year in advance. So why spend a year waiting for what might come? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

16. freepomme thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly what I've been saying. Nobody believes it. But if Apple DID say that... they'd be done.

17. RedOrchestra Suspended

Why did you rewrite your opening comment? it reads nothing like your original post.

18. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Did say what? That all of the rumours are true? That's always a bad idea, which is why companies almost never even acknowledge rumours about upcoming products.

19. freepomme thread starter macrumors 6502a

This thread was actually an accident

but since I couldn't delete it I figured I might as well run with it

20. RedOrchestra Suspended

REALLY ... you accidentally signed into MR, then accidentally started a new thread, then accidentally wrote a comment, then accidentally rewrote the comment ... you did all of that by accident?

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Some people like fugly features.

22. freepomme thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? I'm taken aback. I mean. No. That more powerful Xbox One is on the way, I know it. I heard it through the grapevine. No, really. That information about that more powerful Xbox One... it had to be right off that Major Nelson blog site! There's got to be truth to that.

No, if Apple said they ... were... doing an ... anniversary iPhone ... instead...

:/ Well you know it sounds stupid when you say it out loud.

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This may come as a shock, but there is more to life than a smart phone

24. Smithwicks macrumors 6502

I'm waiting on Scorpio but I was tempted with the One S as a cheap 4K uhd player for my lg oled tv

25. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

This thread is amusing. First the statement that a company with $200B+ in cash reserves 'needs' this iPhone to be a hit. Apple will be just fine OP. Know why? Because people in this forum, enthusiasts, make up a minute percentage of the billion iPhones sold to date.

I have hundreds, literally, of friends and acquaintances who use iPhones. You could walk up to most of them and ask how many GB of ram their phone has, or what resolution the screen is, and they'd tilt their head and stare like a confused puppy. They don't know nor do they care of the specs of their iPhone. It's an iPhone, it's what they know, so they buy it. They have no clue what's coming in Sept let alone about some 'super phone' come 2017.

These forums do not represent the norm. Far from it. Enthusiasts might hold off and wait based on rumors. Or they could get the new iPhone every year regardless like I do for no other reasons than because I want to and because I can.