Other Why would anyone buy an iPhone XS instead of an iPhone XR?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marianoam, Sep 12, 2018.

1. marianoam macrumors newbie

Okey, they're pretty similar to me.
    Personally, I don't think the lack of 3D Touch/OLED screen on the XR are deal-breakers. And the XR can handle bokeh even with a single camera...
    So, what am I missing here?

2. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Thicker bezels, cheaper materials and colour accuracy on the screen is way off

3. Yarmulkes212 macrumors newbie

Yarmulkes212

Unless it was detailed and I was missed, the bokeh effect on Xr is based strictly in machine learning and not a depth/disparity mask. That may not matter for the end result, but just like how 2x digital zoom is noticeably less crisp than 2x optical zoom, it may be notable to users. For me, 3D Touch is pleasurable to have. As you said, not a deal breaker. The OLED is gorgeous, though. I love the look on it. That's pushing me to Xs Max, not to mention having the largest screen they've done will be a great experience.

4. roncito macrumors 6502a

roncito

Let’s not forget the back of the Xr is aluminum so it won’t support wireless charging.

5. marianoam thread starter macrumors newbie

The XR supports wireless charging. The website states: "Wireless charging. The glass back allows iPhone XR to charge easily and wirelessly."

6. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

The XR does support wireless charging. It says that clearly on Apple's website.

7. roncito macrumors 6502a

roncito

Thought I read it was aluminum. Thanks for the correction!

8. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Yeah it’s got an allminum band around it instead of the stainless steal that the iPhone X line has

9. Ceviche Lover macrumors regular

This is what I am debating now. IMO

-Prefer the look of the XR(especially the blue one) over the XS
    -Don't care about the 2nd camera in the XS
    -XR is $250 cheaper
    -Don't care about 3D touch

The only major difference for me is the screen but it's insane to pay an extra $250 for a better looking, smaller screen.

10. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

It has an aluminum band around the sides. Probably where the confusion was.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

The frame is aluminum, just like the 8 and 8 Plus. The back is glass just like all the 2017 and 2018 phones.

12. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

What about the screen resolution. I mean, the XR has a 6.1” screen and it has a resolution of 720p! I would tbink that’s worth the extra $200.

13. MacRetina macrumors member

MacRetina

XR:
    1792-by-828-pixel resolution at 326 ppi
    1400:1 contrast ratio (typical)
    6.84 ounces (194 grams)
    Water resistant to a depth of 1 meter for up to 30 minutes2

XS:
    2436-by-1125-pixel resolution at 458 ppi
    1,000,000:1 contrast ratio (typical)
    6.24 ounces (177 grams)
    Water resistant to a depth of 2 meters for up to 30 minutes2

14. Ceviche Lover macrumors regular

Think we'll see some kind of comparison before Friday between the 2? I'm not sure if websites like The Verge or Engadget get to take these devices with them or if they only get to play with them at the conference. I'm curious to see whether the difference it's noticeable between the 2.

15. chabig macrumors 603

You think they're similar. Many people won't. Different strokes for different folks.

16. Woofypawz macrumors newbie

Woofypawz

Yes, I'm curious about the same things that Mac Retina listed - noted that pixel count difference, and wondered about it. My iPhone 7 Plus has 401 pixels, so how does that compare to the XR clarity?

17. Wags macrumors 65816

Wouldn’t think so and the homers would be in trouble for telling us to buy cheap. The launch delay for XR probably has more to do with marketing than logistics.

18. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Size would be the big one for me. The XS is meaningfully shorter. Which is the rub. It’s a lot to pay for just a height reduction.

19. McDLT macrumors regular

Humans are creatures of status displays. Nothing wrong with it, just how it is. I’m leaning toward XS for poorly rationalized reasons myself.

20. pdxmatts macrumors 68000

pdxmatts

7+ = 1080
    XR = 720

Going backwards, not forward :rolleyes:

21. nutmac macrumors 601

I think XR is a much better value, especially $800 128 GB variety (only $50 more than 64 GB, vs. whopping $150 to upgrade XS to 256 GB).

But I can justify $250 premium for these benefits (in the order of importance):
    • I prefer XS's narrower profile. Easier to hold with one hand.
    • I love OLED.
    • Dual camera lenses. I take quite a bit of videos of kids playing sports.
    • 4x4 MIMO LTE cellular for faster throughput and more reliable cellular connection.
    To me, other differences are not meaningfully significant.

22. whitedragon101 macrumors 65816

For me it’s the camera. Taking pictures is wide angle for everything means every time you say hey what a lovely view and take a picture the wide angle makes it a pic of the ground in front of you.
    The 2x camera (read standard not wide angle camera) is a big bonus.

23. naturalstar macrumors 6502a

naturalstar

SIM + nano SIM is a huge advantage for me with travel both for work and personally. Also the camera plus the larger screen.

The Xr is nice. If it wasn’t for the above and the lower screen resolution than what I currently have on my 8 Plus, it would have been an option. In other words, if I hadn’t upgraded from the 6 Plus last year, I probably would have went for it.

EDIT: Forgot the faster LTE benefit. They kind of glossed past it, but that is also a big deal. As well as the addition of more bands which was important to some as well.

24. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

All the models are good. Can't go wrong with any of them. But when it comes time to buy, people are going to purchase the best.

25. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

if i upgrade it would be to a Xr, i have an SE now so i wouldn't miss #D touch, a feature that i really think hasn't been supported that well by apps, and the LCD screens on Apple phones are generally very good, so i would be pretty happy with it i think