Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

script

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2015
Well you’ll have an Exclusive band too the White summit Nike sports loop isn’t sold separately.

TomH TX

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
The Nike watches have a couple of bands that are unique to them. I liked the black/grey tweed looking one last year, so got it.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I just noticed they are the same price as well. I think it comes down to band selection and whether or not the Nike Watch faces appeal to you. The Nike bands can be purchased separately, but not the watch faces. Well... the new Nike bands aren’t yet listed in the store, but they probably will be. The older ones are.

I already have several watch bands (two third party), so I figure I might as well go with the Nike model to get the additional faces at no extra charge. There are also some Nike apps, but you can probably get those from App Store.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
The Nike versions don't come out until Oct. 5th, so you'll be waiting an extra 2 weeks. That's really the only con I'm seeing so far.

Questions I have:
Is the old digital Nike face still available with the Series 4? Or is it just the new, analog one? And does it support non-Nike complications? Like, could I use the Nike face with a weather complication?

And does the black sport loop reflect? Or is that only the summit white?

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
The Nike versions don't come out until Oct. 5th, so you'll be waiting an extra 2 weeks. That's really the only con I'm seeing so far.

Questions I have:
Is the old digital Nike face still available with the Series 4? Or is it just the new, analog one? And does it support non-Nike complications? Like, could I use the Nike face with a weather complication?

And does the black sport loop reflect? Or is that only the summit white?

I am also wondering if the old Nike Faces are still available...they were my favorites and I don't like the new Nike ones either.

Is there a site that shows all the new Faces for Series 4?

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
How douchy would it be for me to pre-order 2 watches, a Nike one and non-Nike one, and use the non-Nike as a loaner for the 14 day return window while I await my Nike+? More or less douchy than Apple not just releasing them at the same damn time?

Speechless

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2015
Non-gentrified Brooklyn.
How douchy would it be for me to pre-order 2 watches, a Nike one and non-Nike one, and use the non-Nike as a loaner for the 14 day return window while I await my Nike+? More or less douchy than Apple not just releasing them at the same damn time?

10/10 douchy.

tenor.gif

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
My only issue is waiting longer. Why do they make us wait!? I am not patient!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I guess my question is, is it not exactly the same plus you get the additional Nike watch faces?
Unless you want the Hermès faces. But they come at a $211 premium to buying a basic SS watch and an Hermès band.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
I am also wondering if the old Nike Faces are still available...they were my favorites and I don't like the new Nike ones either.

Is there a site that shows all the new Faces for Series 4?
I've only seen the analog Nike face. Have any bloggers posted additional faces?

ripsaw650

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2015
Utah
I want the Nike version too, but I can't see how I will wait another two weeks... haha!

I don't care for the new analog Nike faces either.

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
Watch newbie...are faces not available after purchase, can you not customize and change faces?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Watch newbie...are faces not available after purchase, can you not customize and change faces?
Nike watch faces are only available to Nike Apple Watches (same as the Hermes ones).

You can switch watch faces on any Apple Watch, but you're limited to the watch faces that are a part of wOS. Pretty much all watch faces are customizable, but not to your heart's content.

Bottom line, you cannot use a Nike watch face unless you buy the Nike watch.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Ahh so they are locked, gotcha. Thanks!
They're not locked per se. They just aren't available. And there's no watch face store. Or watch face apps. So unless Apple decides to allow the Nike (or Hermes) face on the regular AW, you wont be able to get them unless you bought the Nike watch. If you really like the Nike face, then wait the two weeks to get the Nike AW.

There are other subtle differences between the the Nike and regular AW, but they're minor and not worth mentioning ... and on one should base a purchase decision on them.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
My only issue is waiting longer. Why do they make us wait!? I am not patient!
I'm 100% sure that it's because Apple wants to make sure that Nike can use the 2 weeks to get their buggy @$$ app straightened up on a release device. The delay gives them some time after wOS5 is out in the wild for users to be the beta testers because it would be a huge black eye for Apple to release a device with a completely broken app.

Of course users of older watches and the NRC app will have to deal with the crappy app that works decent on the S4, but garbagey on older watches.

Reactions: japanime

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Nike version always ships later and has different bands (some prefer the Nike bands, I personally like them). Those are the only two reasons to not get the Nike version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.