Why would I want to buy an iPhone 4 versus an Andriod 2.2 phone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by waloshin, Aug 19, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Why would I want to buy an iPhone 4 versus an Andriod 2.2 phone?

2. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

I guess you'd be also fine with Maemo - or S60-5th Ed.

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

It's a personal choice. I bought one because it works great with iTunes, and iPhoto and everything else I have - right out of the box. I don't have an issue with the iTunes App store, and like the fact that there is SOME curation over the content. It may not be perfect, but it's better than a free for all where I can download anything form anywhere.

I don't care about the open source angle, and I don't mind paying for an app if I am going to use it. I like the attention to detail of the Apple products, and how they all work together.

For me it's the Mac vs. Windows issue all over again.

But in the end, it's a personal choice, buy whatever works for YOU...

4. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

no idea?

A lot of people are happy with their phone choice. Just pick one that you want based on features and service, well service first.

5. anon.ymous macrumors member

because the iphone 4 works seamlessly with your mac. if you want openness, just jailbreak the thing!

6. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

You would want an iPhone because you like LESS choices and like the idea of giving up control over what you do and the content you use on your phone. Plus, you don't want to be able to access any Flash content. Oh, and you want to pay more to be part of an elite consumer base who thrive on Apple products at any price. And you also love the idea of having one choice for wireless companies who are famous for over-charging and under-delivering. But the phones are nice as long as you wrap them in a bumper to keep the signal from accidentally dropping.

If this all sounds good, then go for it! :D

7. EzhnoWolf macrumors member

I agree. I love how my MBP and my iPhone work seamlessly and flawlessly with no hiccups.

I am an efficient type so I love how everything just works with my Apple products. I am far from a fanboy or some rabid Apple fan; I love Apple products because they just work. And as stated above, I like the attention to detail Apple puts into its products. :)

8. KirkL macrumors 6502

Apps - Not only does the iPhone have more Apps, it has better quality ones. Plus the Interface feels much more polished than anything running Android. The only knock against the iPhone IMO is that it doesn't come with turn by turn directions.

9. TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

TheWatchfulOne

There are more apps in the App Store than you will ever use. It's nice to have just one place where you can go to browse for apps.

There isn't any content that "requires" Flash in order to access it.

Nearly all the popular smartphones start at $199.

iPhone is not available on Verizon yet.

iPhone is nice whether you wrap it in a bumper or not. Nobody I know who has an iPhone 4 has dropped any calls yet.

All of these things are nonissues. Go for it!!:D

10. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

1. I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic
    2. Are you kidding me? There are still a fair amount of sites that are not useable unless you have Flash.

But yeah, I haven't had any problems with my iPhone 4. Any other smartphone I've tried (HTC, Samsung, Blackberry) they all feel very clunky to me both in operation and in the hand.

Not to mention the Samsung Galaxy S is just a pure iPhone rip off with a hump on the bottom of it. I kinda wish the iPhone had that SWYPE feature though, that's pretty awesome!

11. Covart Guest

You would want an Android because you like the idea of the apps constantly crashing all the time because of the content you use on your phone. Plus, you don't want to have a phone with any sort of battery life. The apps are to blame for the poor battery life.

iPhone simply has the market cornered on apps and they run flawlessly with more user control for opening and closing them.

iPhone and Mac's go hand in hand. If you are a Mac user, then the iPhone is what you want to extend your Mac experience.

Facetime - Android and other phone companies will be struggling once again to play catchup. Just wait and see.

12. bt22 macrumors 6502

While buying my iPhone 4 a couple of weeks ago, my local AT&T store had the Galaxy S. I very briefly tried it out and they showed me the swipe feature.

Maybe this is old news to everyone here, but I found something, possibly on this site and the iPhone offers a swipe feature that was new to me. I believe when in Mail you can swipe on a email message and it gives you the option to delete that mail message. This only eliminates the edit process, but thought it was pretty cool. Everyone may already know this, but in case someone didn't.

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

iPod.

14. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

i was actually talking about this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQFQfOVhdbE

now that i watch an actual video of it... it looks like it would be slow to type with since the sensitivity and response of it doesn't seem so good

15. feeth macrumors 6502

Cause you love that ATT service. :D

How will they keep them in stock at Verizon?

16. rquick macrumors regular

Maybe they won't get the chance. Why give the iPhone to Verizon at all? AT&T works great for most users and has higher approval ratings overall. I've been with them since they were SWB in the 80's and they have always provided excellent service wherever I have been. It makes no sense to switch to Verizon or even allow them in the door. They were always the company that offered a limited selection of crappy proprietary phones while AT&T has always had the cutting edge hardware. It's not surprising that applies to the iPhone as well.

As far as the iPhone itself goes, I've had mine since release day and have had zero issues with dropped calls - with or without the bumper. Nothing else out there can touch it with regard to build quality or useability. The battery life is finally up to snuff. Android just doesn't really compare. It is for someone who thinks they must have an alternative to the iPhone. But if you stand in the store like I did, with an iPhone in one hand and pick up each of the Android based devices in the other, you will come away a believer in the iPhone. Neither Samsung nor HTC will ever build a device that doesn't just feel like cheap plastic junk.

17. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Ok so since AT&T works great for you it should be assumed it works great for everyone else? Bring your iPhone to where I live and see if you say the same thing. Unless you spend all of your time in highly populated metro areas Verizon will always be the better choice. Come to think of it in some of those highly populated areas Verizon still has the better network.

An AT&T phone will get nothing better then EDGE where live and usually falls back to GPRS if you are lucky enough to even get a signal. Are you trying to tell me that sort of service is better then Verizon 3G? Carrier choice depends on a persons location NOT someone else's experience in a different area. I hate the argument... "Well it works great for me so it must be great for everyone else."

18. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

19. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

That looks hideously slow! I was all set to witness some new feature which I was going to have to add to my wish list but instead I have just witnessed one for my "glad" list! As in, glad Apple has more UI design talent!

20. TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

TheWatchfulOne

It is entirely possible he was being sarcastic, but it's hard to tell on message forums sometimes.

It's true there are probably many sites that require Flash. But I took his post to mean that there was content that required Flash. I took it to mean that content refers to information, whether it be in printed, video, or audio form. A site is just a vehicle for the delivery of the content. So, while there are sites that require Flash to browse them, I'm sure there are sites where you can get the same content without having to encounter Flash. Looking through that one App Store, you can even find native apps that will provide you with access to content and native apps are better than both Flash AND HTML.

A friend of mine has the Nexus One and he says its the best phone he's ever had (but he still wants an iPhone.) If I had to have an Android, I think that would be my first pick. It's too bad Google has pulled it off the market.:(

21. seb-opp macrumors 6502

22. greenmountain macrumors newbie

Everyone's situation is different, so it really comes down to what you want/need to do with the phone. I love Macs - I have two of them - but I use a Droid because in the place where I live and the places where I travel I find Verizon to be a much more reliable carrier. Your situation may be completely different.

Similarly, Apple has lots more apps, but I don't really use a lot of apps. The handful that I want or need are all available in Android versions and, on the whole, I have not found stability to be an issue in the seven months that I've had the phone.

Finally, it is worth saying that I have not found compatibility to be an issue. iCal syncs seamlessly with the Droid via Google Calendar. Apple Mail on my laptop and desktop and the two mail clients that come with the Droid keep all five of my email accounts in sync with each other.

Ultimately, it's about what works best for you.

Good luck!

23. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

+1 ....

Many of the Droid vs iPhone threads are as bad as the PC vs Mac threads. Buy what you like and don't be concerned with what the other person got.

24. howardnow macrumors member

Read up on Google/Android terms and conditions. They keep all information about you. So, maybe the question is - who do you trust more with your life?