Why would I want to use BiteSMS??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gix1k, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I hear a lot about this. Anyone have experience with it? Also, how would you stop the stock app from getting messages. I know you could stop it on Android, but at a lost with iOS.

Thanks!

2. wpotere Guest

Bite SMS replaces the stock app. What BiteSMS provides is more functionality like a window that pops up and lets you respond or call the person. It also adds a photos from your contacts next to the listing. I basically hid the Apple messaging app and only use Bite now.

A little Google and you can learn a whole lot.
    http://www.bitesms.com/

3. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Thank you, but I have been to that site. I asked for input for people who have had experience with it.

4. wpotere Guest

I have it, what do you want to know? The site tells you what it does so I am not sure what specifics you are looking for. Formulate a question and I'll answer it. ;)

Here is their features list.

http://www.bitesms.com/main/more_features

You can even try it for a few days. Download it and give it a go.

5. theman510 macrumors 6502

I can respond to a text without leaving the current app or game I'm in. That alone is worth it for me

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Exactly!

7. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

Yes, BITE is truth juice.

Download and ask questions later... it is ABSOLUTELY worth it and is the number 1 reason I jailbreak.

Signature, as silly as it sounds, I like to have one.

8. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

Can respond/compose from anywhere (even the lock screen), can add contact photos, time stamp on every message, emoticons! :)

9. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I keep reading people say it "replaces" the stock app. How so?
    So if I have no apps open and my wife sends me a test to my phone number, how does bitesms prevent the stock app from opening and open up the text itself.
    Also, how does it prevent the stock app from opening with iMessages and deal with those?

If it truly "replaces" the stock app, that is.

10. wpotere Guest

I hear an echo!!!! :D

----------

It doesn't "replace" it per se. What it does is work in parallel with it. Once you install BiteSMS, you can hide the stock app or you can continue to use the stock app. Both applications use the same data store for the messages so you can read them in either app.

11. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

When you've got Bite installed, the stock app doesn't show notifications. You can open the app yourself and see that they're there if you really want to. If you get a notification and tap/slide it to open it, it'll open Bite not the stock messaging app. Bite handles SMS, MMS, and iMessage just as the stock app does. Bite essentially takes over everything the stock app does, all while preventing the stock app from showing notifications.

When it comes down to HOW it does it.. I have no idea, I'm not a software engineer. Just know that it does, haha.

12. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I am one of the minority that actually prefers the stock messenger to bitesms..I really don't see the "draw" with it, and yes I have tried it.

I do realize that you can respond to a text without leaving an app or a game, but you can by clicking the banner/responding to the text then app switch back to the current state of your game/app. Just as easy IMO

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bite has tons more usefull features than the stock messages app.
    If you're jb I don't see why you wouldn't want to use it.
    It's a must have for me.

14. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

What about iMessages? I ask because about 90% of my messages are via iMessages.

15. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I don't care, you guys can negative my post all you want, I was just giving my personal opionion.

16. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

Yes. It handles iMessages.

17. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

BiteSMS is simply what the stock iOS app should be.

If Apple had any sense, they'd buy BiteSMS, replace the stock app with it and hire those creative people to continue making it better for the rest of iOS's existence.

18. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Are you able to change the color of the bubbles in this app? Sometimes I see people with gray and blue bubbles and others with green and gray. Is there any type of I that I can use to change the colors to anything else?

19. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

BiteSMS is what every jailbroken iPhone user should first install.

It's a wonderful app with a lot of features that Apple should have implemented themselves

20. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Gray and blue is iMessage. Green and gray is regular SMS. That is stock iOS.

You can theme your bubbles to whatever you want when jailbroken, not within this app though.

21. Rennir macrumors 6502

Grey and blue is for iMessage and green and grey for text messages.

22. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

It's not about returning to the current state of the app. Not having to leave the app you are in atm and responding to the text is so much easier.

23. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

right, I don't want to be completely interrupted by a text in my apps.

a banner across the top is fine, a full bubbled text in the middle, not so fine

24. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Lol with bitesms you can also get a banner. With the stock app you don't get a notification of how many text you have on the status bar either. By tapping that notification you can also reply to text without ever going into the messaging app.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Amen to that.