Why would it be impossible to live with a nuclear Iran?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Happybunny, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Given that Iran has never attacked it's neighbours for the last 500 years.

What is the problem?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Did you forget about the war between Iran and Iraq in the 1980's?

3. Happybunny thread starter macrumors 68000

No I have not, but Iraq your ally at the time attacked Iran. Iran only defended it's self.

4. Andeavor macrumors 6502

It's not impossible but simply unwelcome. However, I'd love to see what happens if Iran had all the nuclear technologies, because I'm so sick of all the speculations.

5. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Because Iran is crazy enough to join the exclusive club of nations crazy enough to use nuclear weapons... they certainly would use them as a big saber to rattle... and that is a big enough threat because energy speculators are already on edge.

6. Happybunny thread starter macrumors 68000

So far only one crazy nation has ever used a nuclear weapon in anger.:(

7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

At the moment Iran isn't a treat to the West. Yes they have 500,000 troops but they are abysmally trained and equipped, and have no to way to project power far. The best they could do would be a medieval style march!

They get nukes and it's a different story, power projection extends rapidly and would be hard to defend against. The Iranian government is crazy and potentially unstable. Another revolution and who knows where the nukes could end up?

The whole middle east region also has that delicious oil which we love so much.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

In anger as opposed to what?

In hindsight most everyone agrees that nukes are bad, but at the time (WW2) the U.S. calculated upwards toward 1,000,000 U.S. casualties if we had tried to take Japan using traditional invasion tactics. Better them, than us is a valid at war view point.

All the world needs is to have nukes in the hands of terrorists/freedom fighters/ religious fanatics, your choice. The problem with a country like Iran is that they are controlled by religious fanatics, fanatics who if they felt like things were not going their way might decide to take a couple of countries down with them. Yes, that is just a perception. Of course the same could be said of Pakistan and N.Korea...

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

BS- the only reason any country wants nukes is so we can't invade them. I can't blame Iran for that.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Not to mention, as much as everyone wants to deny it, Israel has nukes.

11. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Well, we've been knocking on their door for awhile.
    [​IMG]

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

A sneak attack, naturally. ;) Isn't that the fear in the Region?

13. Happybunny thread starter macrumors 68000

14. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Iran's leadership has made it clear that they are committed to the total destruction of Israel and the Great Satan.

Should be enough...

15. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Fear that if those nuclear weapons get into the wrong hands they could cause a lot of damage, also because i simply hate nuclear weapons in general because they gave certain people some powers that are denied of others and i believe that everybody should be equal without having an advantage due to weapons.

16. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I fear for a 2nd Cold War. That's it. Civilised countries should not get that close to destroying the entire planet.

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Guys... there's a lot of fear mongering taking place. Do you really believe any country is stupid enough to begin nuclear attacks given that the whole world would pretty much turn around and retaliate? Countries generally do not build such weapons with the intent to use them. They build them as a show of force.

18. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Look at it from Iran's perspective. A poor but oil rich nation has just had two of its neighbors invaded by a rich but oil hungry superpower. The resulting wars have devastated the countries. It would be fool-hardy not to develop a deterrent capability of some sort and they already had some knowledge. I doubt it would be used in any capacity except as a deterrent or perhaps a bargaining chip (like North Korea did) due to MAD wrt both the US and Israel but, of course, you never know.

19. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Don't worry, Iran is building nuclear weapons for peaceful purposes. Believe it or I'll destroy you.

----------

I am sure you are about right, but there is that nagging fear that Iran would not be so stupid to engage the US in a symmetric nuclear battle. Asymmetric warfare is what they would be more likely to pursue if anything at all. This gives them deniability for a random nuclear "event" in some undesired nearby country.

20. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Who denies Israel has nukes?

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Israel, well at least the number anyway. :)

22. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Because that would give Iran an equal footing in nuclear capabilities to the likes of America, Israel, the UK, e.c.t.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Good afternoon Fuzzy. :)

Equal footing, for an Islamic Republic, whatever the Hell that denotes.

I don't think so. [​IMG]

Bad enough that Pakistan has them, so counter India's. At least Pakistan can be bought with U.S. $$$, even though they are duplicitous with the Taliban like nobody's business.

24. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

:p well that claim has now escalated to 500.....it's not true though

25. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Really, I heard the same claim, and it seemed preposterous. When did Iran invade a neighbor?