Why would Lightning need a chip to handle plug reversal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zorinlynx, Oct 22, 2012.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Look inside the lightning socket on the bottom of your iPhone 5. Use a bright light if necessary. Notice there's only contacts on ONE SIDE.

Therefore, Lightning is actually an 8 pin connector ONLY. Not a 16 pin.

All you have to do is wire each side of the plug the same way from left to right and you don't have to worry about reversal.

Did we just fall for thinking the lightning connector is more sophisticated than it really is?

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Considering it's the only connector on the market right now that functions as such I think you're underestimating how sophisticated it really is. Also, what are you trying to say, that you thought there were unicorns in there making the whole thing work and are disappointed that it just makes sense?

3. greg555 macrumors 6502a

It's not for the ability to plug the cable in upside down or right side up. It's for the ability to change what functions are on the 8 pins.

4. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

qft

5. zorinlynx thread starter macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Hey don't blame me, I like unicorns. :) Especially one named Twilight.

People kept on and on about how the chip was used to allow it to reassign pins to be reversible, then I look in there and see only one side has pins.

I guess I should be happy something is LESS complicated than I thought for a change.

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

Thats where you have it wrong. The ability is so that the function of the pins can be changed/reassigned depending on the accessory that it is being used with. Yes the pins can also be reassigned to be reversible but that is not the main purpose.

7. Radiating macrumors 65816

The chip is nessesary to prevent you from shocking yourself the pins are exposed and it detects if its in the port and then runs current. The exposed pin with a chip male cable design makes the cable easier to plug in vs a female cable.

Also there's the issue of dynamic pin assignment where 8 pins act as 30.

8. Menel Suspended

Menel

Yes, in the iPhone 5. But thats short sighted and Apple needs this to last 10+ years.

What if this lightning and cable is wired and setup for USB2. But a future iteration of iPhone has 16pins. Enough for USB3 connectivity and the cables are updated and all old cables still work, just as slower usb2 speed.

Then again USB3 might even work on 8 pins as it is.

9. Menel Suspended

Menel

5VDC cant shock you.
    8pins don't act as 30. Its a completely different interface.

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Lightning is an all digital connection. The old 30-pin was USB plus analog connection.