Why would they launch it at the 6,000-seat Bill Graham Civic Auditorium??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Izauze, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Izauze macrumors 6502

http://www.sfchronicle.com/news/art...f61146f10&cmpid=twitter-premium#photo-8532622
    http://hoodline.com/2015/08/mysterious-event-planned-for-bill-graham-civic-auditorium

Regarding all the speculation that the Apple announcement is going to be at the massive SF Civic Auditorium (where the Apple II was released)... It does seem like Apple's NDA-covered fingerprints are all over this, but my question is why?

Usually the capacity for iPhone launch venues number in the 100's, not thousands. Would a massive Apple TV update even justify this? I'd wager that there's no way they'd preview the car this early.

2. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

This is kind of a 50-50 deal. Just checked the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts(popular place for Apple events) website, and they have nothing listed/scheduled publicly for the entire week of Labor Day. Then, this place, and the oddly shaped star logo (which could be a placeholder for an Apple logo), seem to point at this as being the place where the event is being held. Hmmmm...

3. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I think it means one of two things. They will either hold the keynote at the same small place as the iPhone 4s and 5s, or they will use that 6,000-seat auditorium to announce the iPad Pro along with the iPad Mini 4, the new Apple TV, many new Macs, new Apple accessories, and perhaps other surprises.

The invitation will probably be sent out this Thursday, two weeks before the announcement as usual.

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Apple may have planning some additional reveal with the iPhone. If it is Apple TV, they will need time to go over the new features and exclusive deals that go with it.

Invites should be soon, so we will know soon enough.

5. recoil80 macrumors 68000

iPad can wait till October as usual in my opinion.
    I'd expect the new Apple TV to be announced alongside the new iPhone, I find it unlikely for them to show 3 new products at the same event.
    Last year we had 2 products and a service (Apple pay) and it was a huge event, but it was an exception.
    The reason why they avoid showcasing too many products on the same day is to have more publicity. That's why they usually launch the iPad a month after the iPhone, the press goes crazy for the iPhone in September and a month later there is a full coverage of the iPad as well.

6. Izauze thread starter macrumors 6502

Interestingly, this is essentially the building where Apple was born. Before they presented their Apple II at a booth at the West Coast Computer Fair, Apple was a bunch of guys in a garage selling circuit boards. Can't get a much more historically significant venue than that.

7. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

Maybe Donald Trump will be there. :)

8. Izauze, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015

Izauze thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like it's been confirmed. Game on.

http://hoodline.com/2015/08/source-apple-is-behind-mystery-event-at-bill-graham-civic-auditorium

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

10. Dave245 macrumors 601

11. Izauze thread starter macrumors 6502

All I can come up with is either:
    1. The TV update is a huge update (potentially a leapfrog device), and they need the extra headcount to invite tv/film/entertainment industry.
    2. They're also introducing a TV subscription package
    3. The TV update includes major connected home functionality updates and some of the auditoriums interior space will be set aside for demos and such
    4. (v. unlikely) They're previewing the car.

12. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

"Today Apple is going to reinvent the [pick your word]"

13. Dave245 macrumors 601

I think the first 2 are more likely in this situation, remember last year they had that big white building where they showed off the Apple Watch and new iPhones, maybe they are doing the same this year with whatever products they are announcing. Who's to say the products will even be ready straight away, the Apple Watch was shown off last year but wasn't available until early this year. I don't think Apple would hire this building and go to all the trouble with security for no reason. I'm guessing they have something to show. Apple TV maybe is a bigger announcement than we all thought.

14. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Apple Music public launch with full concert, the venue is perfect for Music.

15. oldwren macrumors 6502

oldwren

That would be kinda disappointing.

16. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I would agree. I know Apple always like to have some music folks to round out the "show", but I just want to know about products.

17. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I think you nailed it with number one.

18. ipadpro macrumors 6502a

ipadpro

very simple ....
    so they can selling ticket, each cost 1.500 ,usd
    7000 seat they can collect 10 million easily ....

apple is money machine maker ,,,, dont u know that:D

19. TheMacApple macrumors regular

A solid source in Google has told me they are merging with Apple. They need the space for all the new GI phones.

Ok, just kidding

20. oldwren macrumors 6502

oldwren

You're thinking of WWDC, which costs $1599 per ticket. To my knowledge, they've never sold tickets for press events.

21. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I think you're right-the press has to play nice to Apple all year to get invitations instead of having to buy their way in. WWDC is a whole different story though.

22. recoil80 macrumors 68000

1. yeah, very likely
    2. I expect some subscription but it could be just announced and roll out in 2016
    3. I think Apple TV will have something to do with HomeKit
    4. very unlikely

23. recoil80 macrumors 68000

The press and bloggers provide free publicity for Apple after the even, so why should they pay?
    WWDC is a whole different story, after the keynote there are plenty of sessions and labs so you go there to get training on the new technologies and help from Apple's engineers. $1600 for an entire week of training is a fair price.

24. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I do not understand the big deal. Apple has its reasons and they seem to know all to well what they are doing. ;)

25. Dave245 macrumors 601

I think it's more about what they are going to announce, plus all the guessing is fun :)