Why would you buy a 5C when for a little more you get a 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Sep 12, 2013.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

One has to wonder why they went for a plastic phone at such a high price? Could have easily went for a steel or aluminum phone and maybe dropped it to a 5mp and used an A5 chip.

I wait the tear down video which will reveal the real cost of the Iphone 5C.

My guess is it's plastic to make the more expensive metal one look better.

2. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Why would you buy a 5C when for a little more you get a 5S?

Serious question here other then fashion trends and maybe the colour who would buy an Iphone 5C over a 5C? in the UK seemingly it's only £5 difference a month tariff wise.

Also Iphone 5 tarrifs will be lower and the Iphone 5 is pretty much a better all ronder than the 5C.

3. Kendo macrumors 68000

The "little more" is actually double. I think double is quite a significant number. For example, how would you feel if your boss told you that he is going to double your salary next year? How would you feel if your boss told you that you would take a pay cut by 1/2? The 5S is a superior phone, but you're not paying "a little more" to get it, you're paying double over the 5c.

And if you say "why not just save a little"? Well there is always a breaking point. A person can afford a Toyota Camry, why not save a little more and get an entry level BMW 3? Why not save a little more and get a BMW 5? Then a Maserati?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Holy ****! Why not just join the multiple other threads.

People who choose to buy the 5C over the 5S are likely looking for a phone that is probably more resilient. Perhaps parents don't want their kids owning a phone that somehow just bends in their pants pockets or scratches if the wind blows west. Better yet, who cares?

The worry people tend to have about what others do with their money is inane.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Are you trolling? Why create multiple threads? So you don't like the iPhone 5C. Who cares?

6. PAC88 macrumors 6502

Personal preference and saving a few bucks..

Why is this so hard for people to wrap their heads around?

7. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

The recession is over though. For the extra few bucks you can get a much more advanced handset.

The 5C is too over priced for the market they hope to catch. Maybe in 2014 when Iphone 6 is out and the 5C is very cheap it will be the year of a budget Iphone.

8. aneftp macrumors 601

1.adding colors will make the iphone feel "new or refresh"

2. profit margin. Plastic saves apple about $5 per iphone 5C rather than keep the aluminum materials. It's a marketing trick like analyst say. We techies all know that.

Except 80-90% of the public will fall for Apple's marketing tricks.

Remember in the USA most consumers see only the subsidized pricing. So they will be attracted to the iPhone 5C
    1. price
    2. colors, the feeling of a "new iPhone" even though most of us know it's essentially a iPhone 5 (with slightly improved front camera). That's it.

Of note, Verizon reported during Q2 that over 50% of iPhones sold were older iPhone 4S and iPhone 4.

People will buy the iPhone 5C. Most of us techies won't buy it.

9. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

A lot of people don't understand that $100 more would get them a much nicer phone for the 2 years they're stuck with it, but upfront costs for just a phone are something that people don't like to pay.

My mom still has a 3GS and the most she wants to spend is the $99 for the 5C, even though I've explained that the 5S is a better deal and she likes the champagne color. Hell, she'll probably get the 4S since it's free and she doesn't care that much.

But I know that parents will feel a lot more comfortable getting kids a 5C because it's plastic, so it's a lot more durable.

10. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I never said I don't like it to be fair. I will be buying the 5S but the 5C is an interesting device as is Ipad mini but neither is for me.

11. Shrink, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Because a cement phone would be too heavy.

12. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yep a lot of people will go for the 4S still yet for me it's old tech 3.5" screen and no lightning connector. In two years it will defo be obsolete which is why I'm surprised they kept it.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The recession is over? Where the F do you live? Regardless, do you somehow believe that people don't or should not value money just because you don't?

14. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

The 5c targets the younger crowd and also those that don't / can't afford the 5s. The 5c is perfect for first time cell phone users, especially kids in middle/high school. Younger kids like all the neat colors and the variety.

T

15. PAC88 macrumors 6502

If the recession is over, why do you care if the 5C is overpriced? Now you have an opportunity to show off your abundance of cash by owning an overpriced, unadvanced plastic 5C

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Because the annodization process of the iPhone 5 was too "expensive" to continue and they didn't want to detract from 5S sales.

The 5C is the iPhone 5 in a plastic case, rebranded and remarketed as new.

17. Kealohilani macrumors 6502

That is actually exactly what I was thinking. I have a daughter in middle school and I don't think I would want her walking around with the easily damaged aluminum of the 5 and 5s when I could just get her the colorful, more durable plastic version. She doesn't have an IPhone now but if I were to get her one, it would definitely be the 5c

18. Beelzbub macrumors regular

I like the 5C, that green iPhone 5C is calling my name. And I just read Walmart will be selling them for $79, http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57602574-37/walmart-to-sell-iphone-5c-for-$79-iphone-5s-for-$189/

It is all about personal preference. Who cares if someone buys a 4S, 5C or a 5S. It is sad when someone is judged for the type of phone they have. I can afford a 5S, it is not about being cheep, I just like that green one, so that is mostly likely what I will go with.

19. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I agree that younger kids will definitely want the 5C, because the colours cater more to their tastes than the 5S ones. Problem is, what younger kid has £469? What proportion of parents would go to £469 for a birthday or christmas present? Not many I imagine; I usually got £100 spent on me and got £250 for 18th and 21st, and thought myself lucky.

I think it'll just intensify kids nagging their parents for stuff, since they can't afford £469 and can't get a contract themselves. In my experience, parents buying their kid the phone on contract in exchange for the kid paying £35 a month for 2 years from their pocket money/wages is also a bad idea, as they'll get bored with the arrangement by then and it might be difficult for parents to get their money back.

Personally, I'll be buying a 5S if any.

20. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

It's too bad the 5c doesn't have the 5s guts. That would make the pricing more realistic. Make the 5c in all black and you have a winner.

21. Xeperu macrumors 6502

The 5c has 5 guts. I'm convinced when iFixit rips it open it will find the EXACT same logic board (down to the part number) as in the 5.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. The 5c will be a big hit with the tween crowd and those looking to cut down the initial cost.

23. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

The 5c allows collectors to spend more money to get all of the colors. I know some people who do this :rolleyes:

24. amsical macrumors member

These threads are getting painful.

It's a personal choice to get a 5C. I am, because I want a colourful phone. I'm not that fussed about the new tech in the 5S, I can't use the fingerprint technology due to my disability, the camera doesn't really bother me and I want a more fun phone.

Also, I LIKE IT.

I'm not stupid, I do understand what the 5S offers but I don't want to spend 'just' £100 (it isn't JUST a £100 more, that's a lot of money to me!) more on it when I don't LOVE it. I'd rather spend that huge chunk of money on something I'm going to really enjoy rather than spend even more on something I think is alright just because it's considered to be the 'better' phone.

Why can't people understand THAT

25. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yes. The intent of the 5C is nothing more than offering color. So much so that Apple <gasp> even put a "C" in the name. :D

Because it's too simple and blatant. People want Apple devices to have more meaning than this. Even to the extent of reading between lines that aren't there.