why wouldn't apple let wifi iTunes work on hacked phones? stupidity

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Sep 30, 2007.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

wifi iTunes is really not a feature but a store for apple. The more people with itunes the more apple can make. That is why iTunes is avail and free for all os's including windows. So why didn't they allow wifi iTunes to run on hacked iPhones?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

Apple has an obligation to ATT to secure the phone.

3. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

even on the wifi end of it? itunes will not work on edge

4. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

The fact that they don't should give you a pretty good idea of how seriously Apple takes hacking.

5. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Or how seriously they want AT&T to think they take hacking.
    I'd bet any amount of money that Steve's iPhone is running AppTap and lots of other apps. After all, he did make his start hacking telephones.

Steve LOVES the hacking going on. AT&T doesn't and apple contractually has to satisfy AT&T.

6. btallada9870 macrumors member

Apple doesn't really make that much selling songs. And I think that if someone was going to buy a song, then they would do it at home anyway if they couldn't buy it on their phone. And where I live, if I needed to buy a song on the go I woulfnt be able to because it doesn't work on edge. Are they going to make it work on edge in the future?

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Doubt it... I really really do. Why would he need 3rd party apps? If he really wants something added to iPhone, I'd guess he'd get people working on adding it.

Jobs is not the hacker he once was...that was 30+ years ago. He is now a big time CEO, he still is amazing, but different.

8. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

When they figure out how to hack 1.1.1, I wonder what "killer app" Apple is going to push out to get you to update the software and break the phone again?

9. bonjavi macrumors member

International support, keyboards, translations, dictionary for the keyboard corrector... in just one month and a few days

10. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

This comment made me think of the whole hacking scene in a new light. Before I was indifferent to the hacking, but now I think it's a good thing. It could push Apple to release really awesome updates in order to entice people into updating and lock them out again. Brilliant.

Keep the hacking going! :)

11. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

These really killer apps would have happened with or without it IMO. Just wait for leopard which I think is holding some of these back.

Have you ever been involved with testing?

There are a dozen or more unlocking schemes.

There are millions of lines of code in the iPhone.

Each of those schemes does and changes something different.

Do you understand the math involved to test for all those hacked variations?

Apple should not do a darn thing to support wifi- over a hacked phone.

If you hack it. You need to deal with the possibility it will not function to its fullest.

Now if only Leo Laporte can get this.

I'd take that bet. And win. IMO He has a million better things to do then fiddle with appollo IM and the like.

Proof? Link? Was this in Newweek or something last week and I "missed it"?