Why wouldn't you get a case after it gets a bunch of scratches?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

I don't see the reasoning in putting a case on your iPhone 5 for 2 years then selling it and never enjoying it naked just because you want to keep it perfect

Why not put a case after it gets ugly.

The resale value is the EXACT same scuffed or not

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

That's where you're wrong.

3. LS417 macrumors regular

Some folks like a case, and some folks like leaving it naked... to each their own.

There isn't always an answer to "why?"..

4. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Yup no case on my white iphone 5 64gb /-). I got AppleCare plus so I can "break it" in 14 months when my battery craps out. It's like a work out art with the silver finish! Love the white model!!

5. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

Resale value in all facets is extremely effected by quality. Would you rather buy a scratched to hell iPhone or an iPhone that looks as if it were just unboxed?

6. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I eventual want a pouch when I take it hiking and what not so I can throw it in my backpack with out worries

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

The regular warranty covers batteries, so save your $50 deductible in 14 months.

8. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I want to do too.

9. tucker3434 macrumors regular

I'm not clumsy but my phone is generally with me all the time for two years straight. It's inevitably going to take some abuse. A case is the best insurance I got. I don't give a rip about scratches. I just don't want to deal with a shattered screen.

10. richmds macrumors regular

Some people like protecting their stuff. Or not taking the plastic off their electronics. Or not using things in fear of damaging them.

I am not one of those people, but know a couple people that do this.

11. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Took the words right out of mouth. ;)

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

Ah... slipcase?

I will bet a million dollars there will soon be back replacements out of china to solve the issue of scuffs/dings and resale.

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

A case isn't a panacea. Remember how some 4 owners with cases on them discovered trace scratches in the stainless steel band's finish? Tiny particles somehow got in there and did the dirty work.

14. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

no case, no applecare, no insurance, no nada

been that way for the past 3 years, don't see the reason to start now

15. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

You want to beat it up and then put it in a case?? Might as well keep the case pristine.... :eek:

16. iamartimus macrumors 6502

To each his own. Some people don't care what their phone looks like, their cars, their clothes, their etc......and some do. I keep mine in a case because I want to keep it nice for as long as I can. :D

17. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

And why bother closing the barn door after the horses are gone? :)

When I've resold devices the resale site always asks you to rate the condition of the device and sets the amount accordingly. And it's no different in that respect from reselling a car. The appearance does figure into the resale value. If it looks brand new it's definitely worth more.

18. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

Also it's a preventative measure. Lifeproof cases prevent water and impact damage.

19. auero macrumors 65816

While I want to agree with you, I've found that (on ebay at least) devices with chips in the corners of the glass and dings/scratches sold for ~10-20 less than my MINT device and others. I've sold at least 10-12 phones (friends, family, my own) I don't understand what people are thinking when they buy that. :confused:

20. itjw macrumors 65816

This.

I was shocked to see the difference between my flawless 4S and my wife's. She threw hers around, put it in her purse with no case, and generally treated it like crap. Nothing MAJOR in terms of wear and tear, but you could easily say hers was a 7/10 and mine was a 9.975/10.

$24 difference in price.

As long as there are no major scratches, dents, or cracks (or water damage obviously) the difference is negligible.

Since then I have gone case-less. LOVE the phone that way. It's how Apple intended it to be used, and it's a huge difference in terms of feel and use.

Don't let the "resale" crowd scare you. They are just making excuses to mask their own OCD... it's not really about value (unless that $20 makes a big deal to you, in which case I would suggest something other than one of the most expensive phones out there...).

Let your iPhone STREAK!!!

21. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i drop my phone weekly.. i have to have a case. Nothing about resale value, nothing about "OCD" as the guy above said. Just plain clumsiness

22. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Have you ever sold/purchased a used product in your life?

23. Timster83 macrumors member

Speaking for myself, I refuse to use a case as I appreciate the iPhone's beauty and a case detracts from that and the super-cautious manner in which I treat my iPhone is probably a consequence of that.

However, almost everyone I know does use a case and their concern is not one of resale value - it's more because they keep theirs in purses/handbags and are worried about damage in those locations, but also worried about dropping the phone and smashing the screen. So for those purposes I think a case from the start is probably the most sensible idea.

24. mebehere macrumors regular

The iPhone is shipped in a case. A perfectly good aluminum and glass case. Without the case, all the chips would fall out. I prefer its natural case. I will not use a case for my case.

25. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Yeah seriously how could you say something like this...it blows my mind