Why you can't carry more than 100ml on a plane

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Apr 4, 2008.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

This article in the Daily Mail is really interesting. It presents information that certainly explains the restrictions on liquids.

But, I am still curious - why 100ml? Why not ban all liquids? Sure there are liquids that people will clearly need to have with them (medicines and such) which would merit permission even with the risk, but it seems that for everything else, 1L spread over a couple of bombers in a bunch of 100ml containers would accomplish the same level of destruction.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I imagine it is a case of logistics and bomber to kills ratio.

If it takes 4 bombers to take down one plane the chances of catching them are 4 times higher. Also if there was a team of 8 that wanted to take down planes then they could only take down 2 rather than 8 planes.

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

It's economics: airports are now shopping centres that just happen to be where people go to board a plane.

"Sorry, you can't take that on the plane. Be sure to purchase the special travel packs available at one of the airports many shopping centres."

And don't forget to bring your clear plastic bags.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yup, they try extremely hard to sell you stuff in the airports.

5. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

One airport I was at last year had the duty free area before baggage checks, so it would be incredibly easy to just buy a drink at the duty free stores, swap the liquid for your explosive-mix in the toilets, and then go through security. They don't check the duty free items, I believe, so you would carry on no problem.

6. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Except that you aren't given the item until after the flight (or is it as you board - it's been a while since I bought duty free). I don't know if every airport is the same, but on my most recent flight, the guy behind me at security was a drink delivery guy - even the prepackaged flats got screened.

Perhaps it is a concession-pushing idea, but even then that doesn't explain the limited permitted quantity.

UKHC's point on logistics makes sense, but even those limited quantities could be enough to create panic in the aircraft or damage a plane severely enough bring it crashing down. It may not be as good as blowing it up, but the end result would be close enough.

7. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Slightly off topic - last year I was at an airport, going to the toilet and this guy walked out in front of me. The lady cleaning the toilet area followed him out and shouted at him, giving him a hard time for smoking his dope in the cubicle and getting stoned, before getting on the plane!! Classic!!

Not really related to security, but it was priceless! The guy staggered off into the crowd looking bewildered and confused.

8. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

i always though that the reason they did that was to keep you from brining your own food in and they don't feed you on the planes so you have to pay $5 for a warm soda at whatever fast food joint they have.

9. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

If it was a case of logistics, why not just ban all liquid? Therefore, instead of having multiple bombers carrying on 100mL, it would be much more difficult to sneak any amount on.

10. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

This was not enforced at the airport in question. It was odd, and an exception to what I have seen elsewhere.