Why you shouldnt pay ETF & How to get an early iPhone 4S upgrade for cheaper!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CounterCulture, Oct 6, 2011.

1. CounterCulture, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

CounterCulture macrumors newbie

So i just got off the phone with AT&T regarding the iPhone 4S and after a long talk about how theres no logic in charging anyone what they charge for an early upgrade fee, i ended up getting $ credited into my account. Long story short, heres how the convo went....

Spoke to upgrade rep about why i cant just have my upgrade be moved up a couple months...long story short, they cant cause its Apple. well duh. no surprise.

Asked why i SHOULDNT just leave AT&T by paying an early termination fee, in my case $185, (they said it differs with everyone. some people can have a fee for $150!) and go to sprint or verizon and pay $199. Rep got surprised but still didnt budge. Told him to connect me to the person who does cancellations.

Spoke to cancellation rep, told them the same story. Long story short, she said that everyone calls about this and the best advice she had was to make my plan a family plan and get an extra line for $199. :eek: (clearly their sales pitch to person who is horrible with math)

Told her that that idea is completely retarded. If i were to do that, i would have to pay $199 for the phone, plus $9.99 a month (according to her) for 2 years. $9.99 x 24(months) = +$250(with taxes and fees) + $199 = +$450. In the end, id be paying more then an early upgrade price!!

After she realized how idiotic her advice was, she said she'd be able to credit me $60 for that second line. .....:mad: yipee....thatd be around $390 now...

...kept arguing about how i dont want another damn useless phone line but then i thought, WAIT, just credit me $60 in my current account/line!

if i were to pay an early upgrade fee for $185, go to sprint, pay $199 for the phone, it'd cost ~$385. if i were to stay with AT&T, get the early upgrade for $449 and use the $60 credit, it'd be $390! $5 difference, i still only have one line, and i stay as a loyal customer to AT&T! The rep ended up getting confused with the math and constantly asked me to repeat myself. She eventually got it and praised me with grace lol she told me that my idea was brilliant and that it's a great way to tell people who are planning on leaving AT&T for another carrier to not do it!

SOOOO..i got $ bonus into my account and she said that anyone i tell can do it too cause they "want to keep their AT&T customers" Remember, if your termination fee is cheaper then mine, youre price can drop even more!

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Sad that us Americans want things for free :rolleyes:

I bought the iPhone 4 one month after it came out (July 2010), and it says I'm fully eligible 3/21/2012; however, I'm not waiting that long, so I'm upgrading at $649 tonight.

3. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

You sound like a positively wonderful customer to deal with...:rolleyes:

5. silver8ack, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2011

silver8ack macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Bartering and negotiating is what makes businesses thrive. If you like to pay out of your nose for BS so be it. Don't knock someone else for being smarter than you.

Good job OP

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You went to ATT last year and said: "hey, I want a new I-4. If you pay most of the price, I will pay part of it, and promise to be a customer with THIS PHONE for two years"

What is so complicated with this?

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's not the only thing.

8. supham macrumors newbie

9. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

all that for 60 dollars... in the long run they still win and you lose

10. CounterCulture, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

CounterCulture thread starter macrumors newbie

...um how? that's $60 for me, and i dont even have to buy the early upgrade. i can continue on with my normal life $60 richer.

Honestly, im sure they determined "$60 bonus credit" based off of my ETF cost ($185). i wonder if thats the calculation for your possible credit from AT&T. $60 would be the difference from paying ETF of $185 + $199 iP4S as compared to $449.

$449 - (ETF + $199) = possible credit from AT&T??

11. Big Apple macrumors member

Just curious since it's kind of on topic as the cancellation department recommended it but does anyone here know if I have to specifically add a new line when I preorder? Or do I just order a new line and then set it all up once it arrives at activation? Sorry for the slight derail.

12. CounterCulture thread starter macrumors newbie

just curious, why are you ordering a new line?

13. NoHo macrumors 6502

You're the type of customer companies hate. And they rarely hate any customers.

I bet you got the iPhone 4 on an early upgrade and you said, "PlEaSe PlEasE leT me uPgrAdE! iLL bE g00D 4 2 y3aRs!!" then they did, and now you're back doing the exact same thing.

14. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Think you sold yourself a little short... ;)

Attached Files:

15. CounterCulture thread starter macrumors newbie

what's your upgrade date and your ETF?

16. Big Apple macrumors member

Mostly wanting to add a family member who doesn't use many minutes so would be more cost effective but if I can get an upgrade out of it too that's just an extra bonus.

17. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Somebody should turn this into a meme. How to troll AT&T service reps.

18. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

My upgrade date was 11/18. I had to call multiple times and speak with many different people. Finally, when I got to the cancellation department I used the same logic as you when speaking to the CSR. My ETF would have been $175. She put me on hold for 15 minutes and came back on offering the $250 credit.

Although she did mention that I would still have to pay the early upgrade price for the phone; the credit would only go towards future bill payment.

19. CounterCulture thread starter macrumors newbie

wonder if theres a way for me to call back and complain about only getting $60 :D oh well, at least i got something. some people arent getting a single penny.

20. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I dont understand how this happens if you only have 1 line. every year my line is eligble for an upgrade and every year I sell my previous iphone AFTER I buy the new one and break even. So upgrading to the new phone never costs me anything and im never without an iphone.....This year I may lose a little because im going for the 64 bit and doubt ill be able to sell my 4 for $400.