Wi-Fi definitely uses LTE Data!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FooArk, Sep 26, 2012.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

I woke up with around 200mb used in a day. Was on Wi-fi all afternoon. Got a text warning me im going over my limit. I check and I see an extra 200mb added. Wtf mang:confused::eek:

I can definitely tell its LTE cause its so fast. But the Wi-fi signal icon shows not LTE.

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

3. FooArk thread starter macrumors 6502

no :)

4. Mr.C macrumors 601

Wi-Fi and cellular connections are totally different and there is no reason technically or otherwise for one to use the other. It's either or.

5. FooArk thread starter macrumors 6502

its a glitch

6. FamousLastX macrumors newbie

What carrier are you on? I've downloaded 5 GBs of music from iTunes match and around 3 GBs of Apps over wi-fi and none of it affected my data on Verizon.

7. bhimpele macrumors member

Yes. It sometimes is regestering as thought you are using LTE data according to the cellular statistics on the phone.

No. This data is not actually being used. You can confirm this by logging into your providers web site, and note the disparity in your phones data statistics, and your iPhones.

(at least the case with Verizon)

8. FooArk thread starter macrumors 6502

Verizon still sends me texts for data usage... its using my data. It was a plan with Apple and Verizon to get extra money from consumers :mad:

9. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I doubt it...

I'm on verizon too and haven't had any issues when connected via wifi. I have been running tests under different scenarios and have had LTE off from time to time so that could play a part. I'm turning/leaving it on now and I'll watch it tonight.

Don't trust the celluar use counter on the phone, just look at the vzw website.

10. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Is Diagnostic & Usage enabled to send to Apple? I had it turned off as I was suspicious of it using my data.

Another thing is that iCloud tends to do backups around midnight. Therefore since your phone is locked/sleep, it switches to cellular data instead of wifi.

11. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

It is amazing that most of your posts are doom and gloom.

12. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

iCloud doesn't backup using cellular (in fact you can't backup unless you are on WiFi).

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4859

-Kevin

13. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I used a huge chunk of data in four days according to my provider. I used up my monthly limit yesterday and have to keep cell turned off for the next 26 days!

14. FooArk thread starter macrumors 6502

15. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

YES! Finally more people noticing this. I have the same issue and burned through 300+ MB on WiFi!!! Not to mention WiFi is so much slower on iOS 6 than iOS 5.

iOS 6.1 NEEDS to come sooner :eek:

16. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I burned through 300MB on ATT in 2 days. I was on wifi at school and at home. This is insane. The only time I'm not on wifi is when I am driving, but my phone gets no use except for the iPod.

17. foobi macrumors regular

Who have 200mb limit? haha

And do you have your screen on all day?

18. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I don't have any issue with this. When I'm on wifi, my cellular data (LTE) is NOT being used. There is obviously something wrong with your phone or you are doing something wrong.

19. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Something is definitely up and I think I may call AT&T about it to see what's going on. In the 5 days since I've had the iPhone 5 my AT&T data usage is showing that I've used 2018.12 MB's! That is impossible. I've used some LTE but I've been mostly on wifi. At this rate I'll be over 12 GB's in a month. I've never gone over 5GB's a month of data usage the whole time I've had the 4 and 4s. I hope AT&T addresses this issue.

20. kingsrule5 macrumors member

That is what is supposed to happen but the thinking is there is a code error in iOS 6.

The fact they were testing an option in the beta's to allow cellular data use if wifi is connected but has no internet, lends some reasoning behind such an error to exist.

21. FooArk thread starter macrumors 6502

2gb

22. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

lol, when I switched to an LTE phone I would come on here and tell people I used 12 to 20 gigs a month, and they are all You are a spectrum abuser, an average person wouldnt use that. I amk laughing now that you all understand. :cool:

23. yauzers619 macrumors member

I'm in the same boat. I have the 200 mb plan and I have used this allotment twice over and I just got the iPhone 5 last Friday. $40 in overages just a week.

I'm going to have to turn off the data until my next billing cycle on the 2nd of October.

A buddy of mine has a data usage logger on his iPhone 5 and he determined that looking up an address for navigation purposes is 2Mb every minute.

24. Akash.B macrumors regular

Isn't there a mode called Wifi plus LTE? LTE is supposed to kick in whenever the wifi signal is too slow. I remember seeing it in a beta somewhere...

25. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

they took it out in beta 4 i think

----------

lol