wi fi hot spot

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Will the new iPhone 5 have the capability to be a wi fi hot spot.
I was thinking of getting a Verizon jet pak but a friend told me to just upgrade my OLD iPhone 3 to an iPhone 5 and use the phone as a mobile wi fi hot spot. Is he accurate??
Thx.
Frank

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
I was thinking of getting a Verizon jet pak but a friend told me to just upgrade my OLD iPhone 3 to an iPhone 5 and use the phone as a mobile wi fi hot spot. Is he accurate??
Thx.
Frank
My friend is using an iPhone 4S and it can be used as a WiFi hot spot. We're in Hong Kong and not USA.

Azzin

macrumors 601
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Thx.
Frank
Isn't it an iOS feature, rather than a phone feature?

So as long as your data tariff supports the "Personal Hotspot" (also referred to as "Tethering"), then you'll be fine.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
Isn't it an iOS feature, rather than a phone feature?

So as long as your data tariff supports the "Personal Hotspot" (also referred to as "Tethering"), then you'll be fine.
Yep. Don't remember if the 3GS supports it officially or not, but the 4 and 4S do already.

whohasaquestion

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
Didn't know there is an official support for Wi-Fi hotspot on iPhone. Does the carrier charge a premium for it?

I had to root my Android to have tether/Wi-Fi hotspot, but I don't pay for it other than normal monthly bill.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Didn't know there is an official support for Wi-Fi hotspot on iPhone. Does the carrier charge a premium for it?

I had to root my Android to have tether/Wi-Fi hotspot, but I don't pay for it other than normal monthly bill.
Again, it's up to the carrier. I am with O2 here in the UK and they do not charge me extra for data when creating a hotspot (it just comes out of my data allowance). Unfortunately other providers will, though.

whohasaquestion

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
Again, it's up to the carrier. I am with O2 here in the UK and they do not charge me extra for data when creating a hotspot (it just comes out of my data allowance). Unfortunately other providers will, though.
Thanks.

Can anyone speak to the US carriers?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Thanks.

Can anyone speak to the US carriers?
AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint do charge for hotspot features.

However, those with a Verizon Share Everything or AT&T Mobile Share plan do not have to pay for hotspot features, as they are included free.

I can't speak for any regional carriers or prepaid carriers that have it, but I assume prepaid carriers are free.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint do charge for hotspot features.

However, those with a Verizon Share Everything or AT&T Mobile Share plan do not have to pay for hotspot features, as they are included free.

I can't speak for any regional carriers or prepaid carriers that have it, but I assume prepaid carriers are free.
AT&T is "free" for the 5GB non-Share plan too, I think. The $30 one doesn't include it.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
Listen Americans :D

Three UK, all you can eat data (genuinely unlimited) including tethering
5,000 minutes
Unlimited texts

Free Galaxy S3

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple: £34/month

come to the UK!

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami

5,000 minutes
Unlimited texts

Free Galaxy S3

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple: £34/month

come to the UK!
wow that sounds good . But you didnt state how long the contract is for.
Actually in the US that comes to about 54.00 a month which doesnt sound too bad as it comes with "unlimited' data

Last edited:

Azzin

macrumors 601
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
wow that sounds good . But you didnt state how long the contract is for.
Actually in the US that comes to about 54.00 a month which doesnt sound too bad as it comes with "unlimited' data
It's a 2 year contract (if you get a a free/heavily subsidised phone).

Also, it's "2000" any network minutes and 5000 "3 to 3" minutes.

Or.....you can get the same tariff on a SIM Only, 1 month rolling tariff, for £25 per month ($42 or so).

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010

5,000 minutes
Unlimited texts

Free Galaxy S3

come to the UK!
That sounds awesome, just curious as to what speed you get with HSPA+.