Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redhot47fl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Loving the new MBA 13 (my first Mac), but running into a frustrating wi-fi issue.

The MBA wi-fi flies when the machine is in the same room as the NetGear WNR2200 router, but it slows down considerably as I move it through our (smallish) house, and it pretty much crawls to a stop just 10 yards or so away from the router.

The MBA's range icon never changes, showing a strong, four-band signal, but the performance drops sharply. Other devices, including a 3-year-old Dell laptop, receive strong wi-fi signals throughout our house. (I haven't yet had a chance to test this 2-day-old MBA with any other wi-fi signals.)

I see some previous issues posted on this board regarding NetGears and Macs, but nothing I do seems to help. Any similar experiences? Any new hints regarding a resolution short of buying a Time Capsule, which I eventually will probably do anyway?

Also, the wi-fi icon indicates a frequent, every 20 seconds or so, search for new networks. Is this normal?

Last edited:

redhot47fl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Just for the record...never mind.

It turns out that the new MBA's wi-fi range was just fine, performing wonderfully on other networks in other places using other routers.

The problem was an unresolved (and probably never-to-be-resolved) incompatability between the MBA and the NetGear NR2200 router, a problem that has been documented from time to time in the past.

I've replaced that router with an older D-Link, and the reception and connection speed are now flawless throughout my house. That said, I'll probably spring for a Time Capsule in a few weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.