Wi-Fi Slowdown when connected to TV (not external monitor)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by walnuts, Sep 28, 2009.

1. walnuts macrumors 6502

I have a strange problem with a wifi slowdown when connected to a tv. I appreciate any help I can get!

Here are the specs of the equipment:

• 2.2 Ghz white macbook, santa rosa, 4 gb ram, purchased January 2008
    • Panasonic TV connected via HDMI to DVI cable + Apple Mini DVI to DVI connector
    • USB Western Digital harddrive connected to a 500 GB Time Capsule (1st edition, no dual channels)
    • Snow leopard 10.6.1

Before upgrading to snow leopard, I would frequently use the macbook to provide video to the above mentioned tv streamed from a hard drive connected to an imac (connected to the same time capsule).

I moved, and upgraded to snow leopard, and haven't tried this until finished setting up my equipment yesterday. I can stream videos to the macbook from this hard drive fine when nothing is connected. However, the moment I plug in the mini-DVI connector, the wifi drops to a crawl. This applies not only the to air disk but any data from the network (internet, etc.)

A couple of additional notes:
    • Display is set to mirror
    • Has nothing to do with clamshell mode because the macbook isn't closed
    • Nothing to do with location/interference- the effect is instantaneous with plugging and unplugging the cable
    • The base station is actually closer than in my previous setup and is pretty much 20 feet away in direct line of sight
    • I connect to another external monitor daily at work (vga, again with apple mini dvi to vga adapter)- no issue whatsoever
    • restart did not help
    • I cancelled all time machine backups over the network to limit that as a factor- no effect

Any help is appreciated!

2. cmustin macrumors newbie

I'm having this same problem, connecting my MBP to a television on my desk.

The wifi will slow down to a crawl while in clamshell mode, but if I unplug the MBP and use it on the desk, it speeds back up. I don't get it...