Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
Starbucks is fighting back against the recession with a scheme that will allow its customers to have free Wi-Fi access in its stores....

Full article below

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/20090923/free-starbucks-stores-after-openzone-agreement.htm

Personally, I don't like the coffee at Starbucks. I'm more of a Cafe Nero guy ( I often see day-hookers in there because their coffee is strong like crack) but I guess this could sway me if I was on the road and wanted to do some stuff online.

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
Starbucks is fighting back against the recession with a scheme that will allow its customers to have free Wi-Fi access in its stores....

Full article below

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/20090923/free-starbucks-stores-after-openzone-agreement.htm

Personally, I don't like the coffee at Starbucks. I'm more of a Cafe Nero guy ( I often see day-hookers in there because their coffee is strong like crack) but I guess this could sway me if I was on the road and wanted to do some stuff online.

those wouldn't be the cold hookers, right?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
How many times are we going to hear about Starbucks' free wifi? It never really happens and half the time it's not free.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Screw wi-fi, they should fight back with a scheme to not burn their beans!

Starbucks is bunk. I've said it before, they're like the McDonald's of coffee. Completely ubiquitous with substandard product but Starbucks has the nerve to charge a premium for it. PAH, I say, PAH!

When I'm feeling masochistic I do partake of a little caramel frappuccino every now and again though.

Anyway, wooo, wi-fi! Maybe they actually will this time.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
How many times are we going to hear about Starbucks' free wifi? It never really happens and half the time it's not free.

Well in the UK(London at least) it is going well…
They are using an existing network — BT Openzone — same as used at Caffe Nero chain…
Used the Starbucks free WiFi at Borders bookshop this Saturday past. Not for the coffee (;)) but the wifi coverage was good across the shop. :)

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007

Starbucks is bunk. I've said it before, they're like the McDonald's of coffee. Completely ubiquitous with substandard product but Starbucks has the nerve to charge a premium for it. PAH, I say, PAH!

When I'm feeling masochistic I do partake of a little caramel frappuccino every now and again though.

You whine. Cease. And next time, try a Vanilla Bean Frap. You're welcome. :D

but, free Wifi is cool. Although Starbucks is a bit late to the game on this one. I mean, with their great big popularity I can see why they haven't implemented it yet due to cost, but there are so many places that offer it (and have offered it for a while) that I don't think "Starbucks = Free WiFi". More often than not I go the library or cruise a rich neighbourhood.

nullx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Wilmington/Jacksonville, NC
Starbucks has never and probably will offer free wifi. They keep saying its free, and then they reidrect you to a pay-to-access site via AT&T. Personally, when I go to starbucks or any place like that, that offers "free" wifi, I take a copy of BT3 with me. :D Theres always a WEP wifi network along with the ATT network. When they make it free (as in free speech kind of free) then ill use it

kindablue09

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
Whats with all the Starbucks hate? They sell coffee and other various coffee concoctions. If you like it good for you, if not go somewhere else. Your rant isn't going change anything... :rolleyes:

Personally free wifi would almost make me consider going to Starbucks. However, the one in my neighborhood is right next to a bakery/cafe that I love, and Starbucks can't compete with fresh baked goods :)

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Whats with all the Starbucks hate? They sell coffee and other various coffee concoctions. If you like it good for you, if not go somewhere else. Your rant isn't going change anything... :rolleyes:
You may be confusing "all the hate" (I don't see an abundance actually) with flippant observations and musings which are entertaining to share on the internet. Lighten up. I certainly don't care enough to hate, and I do tend to avoid starbucks, but thanks for the canny advice all the same.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
All Starbucks near me already have free WiFi.

I understand they've confused everyone with their lack of detailed/accurate news/release, but I think the idea of having free WiFi is a good one. :)

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Starbucks has never and probably will offer free wifi. They keep saying its free, and then they reidrect you to a pay-to-access site via AT&T. Personally, when I go to starbucks or any place like that, that offers "free" wifi, I take a copy of BT3 with me. :D Theres always a WEP wifi network along with the ATT network. When they make it free (as in free speech kind of free) then ill use it

Bollocks.

Every Starbucks I've gone into has either been a free AT&T wifi hotspot, or a t-mobile hotspot (which they all are switching to AT&T). And as for the 'pay-to-access' site, I've never had to pay for anything. By nature of having the iPhone on ATT's network, you're already paying for the access. If you jailbroke and went T-Mobile, you screwed yourself over on that.

Or perhaps you should grab the Easy WiFi for ATT app (free). It keeps your credentials and passes them straight to ATT's WAP and gets you on.

BL.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Bollocks.

Every Starbucks I've gone into has either been a free AT&T wifi hotspot, or a t-mobile hotspot (which they all are switching to AT&T). And as for the 'pay-to-access' site, I've never had to pay for anything. By nature of having the iPhone on ATT's network, you're already paying for the access. If you jailbroke and went T-Mobile, you screwed yourself over on that.

Or perhaps you should grab the Easy WiFi for ATT app (free). It keeps your credentials and passes them straight to ATT's WAP and gets you on.

BL.

Not everyone has an iPhone or is on AT&T.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

Neither do I, but it doesn't change the fact that Starbucks gives free wifi in the US. ;) All you need is a Starbucks card, and you can get one in front of all their cash registers. You don't even need to put money on it. Just register online with your computer (you can access the Starbucks website only), and then enter the code on the back of the card on the login page. That will give you free access for 2 hours.

The only thing that may be new here (and I'm not 100% sure, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is that this free wifi is offered in the UK. It has been offered at Starbucks in the US and Canada for ages. I used it for a few months during thesis correction time. No, their coffee isn't good, but the coffee in like 99% of North American cafés border on disgusting (particularly cappuccinos and every other espresso-based coffee), so what's the difference where I feed my addiction?

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
The only thing that may be new here (and I'm not 100% sure, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is that this free wifi is offered in the UK. It has been offered at Starbucks in the US and Canada for ages. I used it for a few months during thesis correction time. No, their coffee isn't good, but the coffee in like 99% of North American cafés border on disgusting....

When I was in London the free WiFi at Starbucks was just for O2 customers.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Starbucks has wifi in the uk. If your a cloud member that is. If not it's pay as you use as stated before

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois

Agreed on all counts. The only difference is that I might actually go there if all my other local cafes are full. Many times the local ones are full and SB is empty.

jlreed1

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2009
Paris, TX
I really don't think it's ever going to be free. Having worked for Starbucks for the past year I know it's always been, get a gift card, put at least 5 dollars on it, use it every 30 days and you get a free two hours of wireless a day. It always throws people off because they come in expecting to just log onto their computers and it's never like that. I'm hoping they'll change this and give everyone free wireless all day regardless of whether or not you have a gift card. I know I'd like that better.

nullx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Wilmington/Jacksonville, NC

exactly. The Starbucks in my town (both the standalone store, and one in Barnes & Nobles) only offer free wifi to AT&T customers. Same thing with McDonalds. AT&T customers only. Everyone else is required to pay. There have been signs outside the starbucks and mcdonalds here saying that the wifi is free, which is total bull. Its not free, it never is, and most likely it never will be.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I sit in Holiday Inn parking lots and use free wifi while drinking McDonalds coffee which I think is pretty, pretty good.

***** Starbucks feels like Disneyland of coffee. Iced capafrappafoofoo junk and wait 20 minutes because they forgot some goofballs whipped cream and everyone gets backed up.

And I refuse say the venti, grande whatever. If I order, it's Large. If you don't have large f it, I'm outta here. They gave up trying to get me to say it cause I won't and ultimately make a freakin' scene because why isn't a large, large?

Needless to say, my local Starbucks loves my doggie, but me not so much...

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
I sit in Holiday Inn parking lots and use free wifi while drinking McDonalds coffee which I think is pretty, pretty good.

***** Starbucks feels like Disneyland of coffee. Iced capafrappafoofoo junk and wait 20 minutes because they forgot some goofballs whipped cream and everyone gets backed up.

And I refuse say the venti, grande whatever. If I order, it's Large. If you don't have large f it, I'm outta here. They gave up trying to get me to say it cause I won't and ultimately make a freakin' scene because why isn't a large, large?

Needless to say, my local Starbucks loves my doggie, but me not so much...

You sit in Holiday Inn parking lots and refuse to order menu items properly out of spite?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
When I was in London the free WiFi at Starbucks was just for O2 customers.

But my point is that this "news", which means this arrangement wasn't in place in early August, means that you'll get free wifi at Starbucks' in London, even if you're NOT an O2 customer.

Yes, in North America, you need a Starbucks card (which is free an available immediately) to access the internet, but you only need to put $5 on it to use the internet, and it's $4-5 for a drink at Starbucks anyway, so that will just go towards your drink.

After you get a card, you really could just walk in and use the net for 2 hours today, and tomorrow, and next week, and next month. I did this for around 6 months in Canada (every 3 to 4 days), and all I did was buy a $1.70 regular coffee every time I went, along with either a $2.00 chocolate fudge brownie, or $2 pumpkin cinamon scone. ;)

Coffee was crap, but I went because they had the net, and Starbucks was the only place near me that had both web access AND coffee. :)

So yes, it's free, but you probably should buy something in good faith. Web access is for customers, after all...

Bwa

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Boston & San Jose
For $10/mo Boingo solves the Starbucks issue, as well as airports, many hotels, McDonald's, etc. Totally worth it if you're on the road a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.