WI Supreme Court reaches wildly far-fetched ruling on union law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

In an effort to convince us that we didn't see what we saw, the Wisconsin Supreme Court has ruled there was nothing improper about the Wisconsin legislature violating the state's open meeting law.

So what's the court saying here? That only the legislature can rule on whether it violated state law -- patently absurd -- and that keeping the doors of the room open is equal to giving 24 hrs. notice -- even more absurd.

Wow, Wisconsin. That's some corrupt Supreme Court you've got there. They're laughing in your faces.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's insane. Recall as many politicians as you can, Wisconsin! And never let this happen again!

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That's crazy, I hope for the sake of the people of Wisconsin that they are able to get enough legislators recalled that they can repeal the law. I also find it interesting how it looks like some conservative member came in and down voted the posts but was too afraid to post anything.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I love when the right constantly screams about judicial activism, while at the same time doing everything they can to ensure that our judicial branch continuously keeps its ongoing slide to the right at the top levels going.

I foresee either America falling from grace entirely in our lifetime, or a massive uprising of activism (think 60's style) to correct the course. Either one will leave this country a drastically different place as the cycle of corruption leading to activism continues yet again.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

what do you expect out of Judges that run for election. This is a huge example of why I do not think judges should be allowed to run for election. They should not pander for election campaign money and base rulings on that. Rulings should be based on the law not who is bribing you with campaign financing.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

This is one of the scariest things about Wisconsin and many other states here. HOW CAN YOU ELECT A JUDGE!?!?!

Thats just eroding the system at a whole new level.

I fear this country may be rotting to the very core.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So what's the alternative? Allow politicians who pander for election campaign money and base rulings to appoint them?

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

honestly would rather have that with them having seats a lot longer than the politicians would be in office. It puts them one more step away from the corupotion.
    But the second they have to deal with the fact that people mind change one minute to the next we have an issue. When it doute people tend to vote party line. I am kind of wondering if this was down party lines proving that political parties and judges do not mix.

God help us if our supereme court had elections because image the cluster if those choices were made based on party. I would not be surprised in the least if they could of shoved threw being gay is illegal

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Honestly I blame GOP for the hold up. They already started the will hold appointment hostage to get tax cuts for the rich. They do not care what the problem is they hold the entire country hostage for there own petty gains. Hard to get around that fact. The problem is the parties not the system of appointment. Still better than elections.

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

2012 will be a bad year for the GOP in Wisconsin.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

In Ohio as well.

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The Ohio governer is a clown, a Fox News shill.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

For sure. Just wait. The Republicans are going to get a smackdown.

15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh, Ohio's statehouse and Gov. Kasich are poised to pass a budget that could push many cities into bankruptcy. That's aside from the SB 5 nonsense.

(BTW, polls here show SB 5 likely to go down to defeat when the repeal referendum hits the ballot this November.)

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's called projecting, and it seems to be what they do best. If a court ruling doesn't go their way they scream foul and throw around terms like "judicial activist" and "legislating from the bench". You don't tend to hear Democrats use these phrases when they lose. Nor do you hear it from Republicans when they win a case.

Just like they do on other things like gay rights for example. "Gays want to recruit my children" when in fact it is the religious right that does the recruiting.

I guess they worry about people doing to them what they do to others. Like the cheater who is always worried about his wife or girlfriend cheating on him. I've know a few of those types. It's an interesting human behavior.