wife and I switched phones - best way to get contacts right?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maverick22, Oct 28, 2012.

1. maverick22 macrumors 6502

The AT&T rep wasn't able to transfer them on the machine. I guess I'll try icloud (that the best way?). I don't want to delete one of our contacts completely though.

So in using icloud, do we just delete an icloud account on one phone, then use that account on the other (then vice versa)? Is there anything we need to do like turn "Contacts" off/on first before deleting the account?

Thanks

2. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

Thats correct - and no you don't have to turn them off and on in iCloud - just delete the contacts completely.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can still do it the traditional way, which involves making a backup of one phone and restoring the other phone from that backup.

4. DefBref macrumors 6502

Thats the way i would do it, that way the entire phone settings and contacts are transferred not just contacts.

5. Merkie macrumors 68020

6. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, the sims are already switched. We pretty much have the same pics, not many other personalized things. Main thing we are concerned with is contacts.

I think the icloud way is the way to go as long as it works. The backup I guess would have been good had we done it before we switched sims. Thanks for your replies. I'm still pretty much a noob to itunes/icloud.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The backup has nothing to do with the sims.

Backup each to iTunes and then restore each from iTunes, but swap which backup you restore from.

Once all this is done, yes, you should set up iCloud accounts for each phone and start syncing everything and backing up to that. That will make this much easier in the future.

But for right now, use iTunes and USB. It'll be much faster than going through the internet.

8. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks! So it doesn't matter if u backup a 4 and restore those settings onto a 5? Things will transfer exactly and go smoothly?

9. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Via iTunes, I used my iPhone 4 backup (run immediately before setting up the new iPhone) to setup my new iPhone 5. Everything transferred intact. Settings and text messages carried over as well.

10. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good to know. Thanks for replying. Well, I just went ahead and used icloud. I'm satisfied. Just deleted unnecessary contacts on both ends. Thanks for everyone's input!