Wife and my iPhone both on iPhone 5, How to control it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomamon, Oct 12, 2011.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

So me and my wife will both have iO/S 5.

We both use one e-mail address for updating our apps and making purchases. I am wondering if it is possible to set it so that both phones work independently to each other. I don't want my photos going on her phone and hers coming on mine. I also want our own iMessages.

Is there a way to make this happen?

2. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

You'll need to make her a separate apple ID.

You can still use the same apple ID for purchases though.

3. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

This. Apple made it so just for people like us. (I do the same thing.)

4. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

*sigh*

With so many people using the same ID with different people, they're creating their own problems.
    The main reason seems to be to be able to share music and apps without having to "repurchase" them.
    This is no longer a valid thought with the advent of "HOME SHARING". Where you can have multiple accounts sharing this data/music.

Have your wife create her own ID, enable home sharing, profit.
    Then when your iPhones sync wirelessly each night, you'll soon find all of her purchases available to you, and vice versa.

Now you both can be individuals and independent.

5. kicko macrumors 65816

I have the same problem but a little bit further involved. We sync our phones on different computers but still use the same itunes account.

Is there any way of syncing both phones to the same pc without the "syncing with different libary" error ??

i'd love to be able to sync both to the same pc/libary and use family share under one account with 2 id's.

*i have tried to copy and paste/edit the itunes info off one pc to the other as suggested but it appears like it would replace her info with mine and not add it. So i could sync her's with my mac but then i'd be stuck.

6. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

How do you create a new apple ID?

And how do you continue to use the original one for purchases?

7. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

You can create a new apple ID here: https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/wa/createAppleId?localang=en_US

Do you have iOS 5 yet? Whenever you go into your settings > iCloud, you can enter the new Apple ID there once you've created it. This will be used for photo stream, find my iPhone, calendar, etc...

Then go into settings > store and make sure the apple ID there is the one you want used for purchases.

My wife and I had the exact same problem. One thing you'll see once you d/l iOS 5 is that it's very customizable.

8. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Thanks!

9. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

No problem at all. Enjoy it!

I was pretty amazed when I took a few pics last night and then saw them on my iPad this morning. I had nearly forgot about this feature. Totally effortless.

10. cybertek macrumors regular

cybertek

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Anyone know what the hell I should do?

My wife and I each have iPhones that we sync with the same Mac.
    We have:

* An iTunes Account signed in using her g-mail account: All apps and media have been bought with this and this is what all our devices are logged in to.

* An older iTunes account using a different e-mail. Songs I bought before we were married are under this name but it's no longer used.

* A MobileMe Account: Calendars and Contacts synced through this on all our devices...I guess this will be turning into an iCloud account.

* An Apple ID that I use when shopping on Apple.com that I THINK is the same e-mail as the defunct iTunes account. Does that make that iTunes account and this Apple.com account the same thing? I don't know.

= = = = = =

My initial thought is to give her the first account since it's using her gmail addresses.

What about for me? Should I use the Apple ID with my gmail address or should I turn my MobileMe account into an iCloud account and use that? I've been thinking about switching over to the @Me e-mail anyway. What if I do that? How do I sync calendars with her? Can she be logged into my iCloud account? Or does that cause all the same problems listed above? And if she DOESN'T log into the same iCloud account, how do we share our Address Book and Calendars?

And what about Photostrem? I WANT both of our phones to be sending photos into Aperture. Can Aperture sign in to 2 different iCloud accounts? If not, am I stuck? What should I be doing with photos if we have 2 different streams?

Ugh. The more I read about this stuff the more confusing it is. Every time someone answers a question it creates two more questions.