Wife watches as police kill her husband.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I would have really liked to have seen what interaction led up to this individual being restrained by multiple cops. The cop afterwards talking to the wife sounded reasonable, explaining to her that they responded to a domestic dispute/violence call and her husband had become combative. This is what is what would be helpful to see on the video.

2. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Even if he was combative. It was obvious in the video that he was subdued. Cuff or tie him up. Why the need to keep hurting the man? The wife knew something was not right, but the idiot cop kept trying to make her believe everything was ok while purposely trying to block the camera. How stupid does he look now?

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Hopefully a board of inquiry will investigate the excessive force aspect. Did it take 5 cops to restrain this individual, probably not, but I was not there participating. Did they do something to him to cause him to die, or did he suffer from some ailment exacerbated by this encounter? How physical was it? Was his head smashed on the pavement or his breathing hindered by being sat on? Being sat on, is a possibility. It's happened on airplanes when someone is being restrained. For this, I don't know, do you? BTW, don't take this as me making excuses for the police. There is just not enough info to make an informed determination imo.

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Looks like a pretty overweight guy. The exertion could have been enough to kill him.

Either way, cops in general shouldnt be so quick to use force and detainment in every encounter.

Most humans have a real aversion to being detained against their will and threatened with physical force, even if they are normally pretty passive and law abiding 99% of the time.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This. Cops should be diffusing the situation, not escalating it. Sadly, it seems that many of the people who decide to become cops don't have that capability anymore.

6. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

7. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I agree. But, somehow, we have to get police doctrine to change. Right now, police are taught that they need to control the situation and everyone in it, and compel compliance, regardless of the severity of the alleged or potential crime involved. As has been seen in some of the posted videos, "compliance", by the police, is often interpreted as not disagreeing with the police officer. Talking back or arguing has been seen in some of the posted videos by the police as cause for immediate physical restraint. In one of the recently posted videos, a mentally ill homeless person was beaten and smothered to death in the process of restraining him. I believe that such practices are completely wrong, but, current law enforcement practice in the U.S. is such that it is almost impossible to convict an officer or excessive use of force.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

"Protect and Serve" have become "Control and "Concur".

9. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

But it's funny how selective they are, isn't it? I've seen people(basically whites) go verbally ballistic on the police without that type of force used. It's rare and damn near impossible to find any footage of an average male minority able to do that. The only footage I've see was a black male who was a decorated veteran that scolded the police for excessive force of others. The police seem scared to even approach him while on camera.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

possible manslaughter charges?

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I don't concur with their control. ;)

12. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Fixed that for you.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ya I knew there was a problem in there somewhere.:eek:

14. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

Another death at the hands of state sanctioned thugs who hide behind their badge and gun?

15. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Nah. It's Oklahoma, they'll be exonerated by a predominantly white jury.