Wife's iPhone 4 sim card put into daughter's iPhone 4s?

Nokaoi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
So the wife thinks that because our daughter is eligible for an upgrade. She can get the iPhone 4s for my daughter and then turn around and switch sims.

Please tell me I'm right. That it cannot legally be done

Nlynn527

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
It can. You are just required to sign a new 2 year contract on the line that has the available upgrade. What you do with the phone after that is your business.

Nokaoi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
It can. You are just required to sign a new 2 year contract on the line that has the available upgrade. What you do with the phone after that is your business.

Even if it's my daughter's upgrade, not hers? Aren't sim cards only for the phone of the person whom which is under the 2 year contract?:confused:

----------

Bump

Nlynn527

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
Yes. Just swap the sim cards. I used my brothers upgrade to get my 4s. And he will use mine when it's available in march.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I've done this multiple times on Verizon and AT&T.

For example, I was eligible for an upgrade, but my phone was fine. My daughter had just lost her phone off the top of a roller coaster (long story). We used my upgrade to get a new phone for my daughter. The customer service rep sold me the new phone and then even helped us switch the numbers back (on Verizon at the time) so I had my number on my old phone and my daughter had the new phone with her number. The downside is that I was stuck with a two-year-old phone and a new two-year contract.

I have done something similar using AT&T sim cards years ago.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
So the wife thinks that because our daughter is eligible for an upgrade. She can get the iPhone 4s for my daughter and then turn around and switch sims.

Please tell me I'm right. That it cannot legally be done

Interesting....care to go into that a little more?

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
OP probably got into a huge fight with his wife about this, trying to act all smart and **** and now he has to break them the truth that he, in fact, was the one that was wrong.

that's why he needed to post a few times for reassurance.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
used wifes upgrade to get my 4s. Saved my upgrade for the next iteration of the iPhone. BOO YA!

Nlynn527

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
I have two extra lines (fathers and aunts) that have upgrades in September and October which I'm hoping is the time frame for the next iPhone. :) they both have new flip phones which suit their needs just fine.

Nokaoi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
OP probably got into a huge fight with his wife about this, trying to act all smart and **** and now he has to break them the truth that he, in fact, was the one that was wrong.

that's why he needed to post a few times for reassurance.
truestory.jpg

Also, to everyone else. I thought the phone had to be unlocked via other means. ;)

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Boulder, CO
truestory.jpg

Also, to everyone else. I thought the phone had to be unlocked via other means. ;)
Unlocking allows a phone to be used on a GSM network that the phone was not carrier-locked to.

OT:This is not 9gag/4chan, so these memes here are very out of place.