Wifi if at 2 Bars, holding it with two hands brings it to 1.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tr1age, Oct 26, 2011.

1. tr1age macrumors member

tr1age

Has anyone noticed, with Wifi at two bars strength if you hold the phone upright to type with your fingers behind the phone and thumbs typing, the wifi drops from 2 to 1. I have tried this over and over and it always does it. Why does this happen? Am I blocking something?

Not a troll will take shots if ya like of it happening.

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Block the signal to the antenna and signal will drop. This should not be a surprise to anyone after antennagate.

3. tr1age thread starter macrumors member

tr1age

Is there a case or way to prevent this?

Is it the touch of my hand that causes it or just the fact that my hand is blocking the signal?

I apologize I was not privy to the antennagate problem first iphone here :)

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Probably a mix of both, try putting on a pair of gloves and seeing if you can create the same behavior.

Are you seeing any other detrimental effects to your usage, or just the signal indicator change?

5. tr1age thread starter macrumors member

tr1age

It will actually disconnect me. Used a sweatshirt in between me and the phone, seems blocking the back is the cause. The sides are fine but if you cover the back completely BLAMMO signal loss. ARGGG I have to type the message and then remove my hand to send it on wifi lol

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

By the way, the bars are not Wi-Fi signal strength, but cell tower strength even when using Wi-Fi (unless I am mistaken).

Unless you have the Wi-Fi Networks panel open and are looking at the signal levels there.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

In the previous model there were 2 issues.

1) Detuning - This happened by the touch of your hand "shorting" the antenna with the antenna next to it. It happened when you touched the black bar on the lower left corner. This issue is easily resolved by either not touching that bar or using any case.

2) Signal attenuation - This happens when you block the signal from getting to the antenna by covering the antenna with your hands. No case will resolve this and it's an issue ALL cell phones suffer from. In this case you just need to be careful to not wrap both hands around the antennas. You need to be conscious that a cell phone is a radio, a radio with no extended antenna. So in order for the radio waves to make it to the antenna, you need to avoid blocking the entire antenna with your hands.

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Wifi antenna is under the glass near the bottom of the phone, not on the border like the cell antennas. So if you have tenuous wifi signal then covering the back will definitely cause problems. Gripping the phone higher might help, leave the bottom clear.

9. ilugram macrumors member

There really is no need to prevent it... the antennagate issue was a problem because people do naturally hold a phone in the so called death grip occasionally.

I can't see any reason why anyone would be holding their phone with two hands covering up the entire back/entire antenna unless they were specifically trying to create that affect.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

How far from your wifi source are you? If it's your own wifi router, it might be worthwhile to try setting it to use a different channel to see if the problem stems from interference.

Do any other devices have problems? Do you have the same problem when using different wifi sources? I've seen some reports indicating hardware problems with wifi on specific units.

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Does it cause decrease call quality or dropping of the calls? If not, why obsess over a signal indicator?