Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scem0

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Hello New York City dwellers,

I've noticed lately hundreds of wifi networks all over the city. They have the same naming convention. Here are the names of the two I pick up in my building:

05B405319824
07B403266470

They are closed networks, but the password is admin. One I'm connected to this network, I don't get any kind of internet access. In fact, my computer can't register the IP address of the router that is producing this wireless signal, or at least it isn't listed under system profiler like it normally would be.

Last night I was on my laptop in a friend's car. We were driving up 8th avenue and I passed a million wifi networks with this same naming convention. I couldn't connect to any of them, being in a car and all :), but I'm intrigued. What are all these connections over the city? Who is using them and for what? The two in my building don't appear to be used for internet connectivity, but who knows? :confused: (Oh, and I live on the LES, so it's not an 8th avenue thing :)).

Thanks,

Emerson
scem0

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
If these access points don't have a DHCP server, or the DHCP server is turned off you won't automatically get the router configured like normal. This does not mean they don't provide internet access though: you would simply need to know the correct IP/subnet mask combo to get access.

I would surmise that you might get an IP address if your Mac address was registered with whooever is providing these...

scem0

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I thought it might be something along those lines. Thanks :).

Does anyone know who exactly provides these networks? I ask out of curiosity more than anything else. It's weird how much of the city is covered by these networks, they're very mysterious =).

Emerson
scem0

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
I get something similar along the highway I commute. These networks are named for the road & a directions (ie: "403 N-NW").

I assume them to be related to the traffic cameras that monitor congestion. I assume they send images over this WAN back to a central point.

scem0

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Ahhhh... I bet you're right. That seems like a very logical conclusion to me.

It's too bad, to know how to connect to these networks and get internet would be very convenient :).

Thanks,

Emerson

scem0

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I usually am pretty proud of my googling skills, but I can't seem to find anything. I've googled the numbers themselves which yields 0 results, and I've tried googling in more general terms which hasn't yielded any relevant results, either. :(

Emerson

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
I usually am pretty proud of my googling skills, but I can't seem to find anything. I've googled the numbers themselves which yields 0 results, and I've tried googling in more general terms which hasn't yielded any relevant results, either. :(

Emerson

I wonder if I can put that on a resume, under "relevant skills".

"I google like a felon."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.