Wifi iPad 2 = $130 in savings = extra GB per month of data

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FrancoRumors, Mar 10, 2011.

1. FrancoRumors macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

If you go the wifi iPad 2 route and plan on tethering with your iphone 4 via AT&T you are starting off with 4 GB per month. If you factor in the $130 you save by forgoing the 3G iPad 2 route you can use that money and use and extra GB per month...$10 per GB over 4.

2. COSWORTH macrumors regular

if the wifi had a built in gps i would go that route, but apple packages them with the 3g

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I've been thinking about that for the last week or so, I just really don't want to lose my unlimited. I use roughly 4GB a month so I would be okay. Its just the fact of never being able to get it back.

4. sam2428 macrumors 6502

Cost savings yes, but is it worth it when it will drain your phone battery relatively quickly?

I plan on tethering too though (to my android phone), but only if i really really need to. Other than that, my phone should do anything i need it to if i dont have wifi available...buts just me :)

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I'm upgrading from WiFi to 3G not for the 3G but GPS. I see it as $130 for a GPS receiver.

6. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

This is how I see it too although more like $180 if you don't want data. Most of the navigation apps that include maps cost $50-$60.

7. TheBaconKing macrumors regular

TheBaconKing

So can you use the GPS receiver without activating the 3G data? I already tether my iPhone to my Macbook pro when I need to, so I could use the wifi tether for my iPad if I needed to download some maps. I just thought that the way the GPS worked in the iPad was that it determined your location by locating the nearest cell towers.

8. INeedAMacBook macrumors 6502

UK ftw.

If you're in the UK on the 3 network, you can have truly unlimited data for no extra, including the 4.3 hotspot feature. I feel sorry for all you american's who have to pay loads :(

9. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

The tethering plan is $20 instead of $25 per month for the iPad 3G so that is another $60 in savings on top of the $130. So you can go 19 GB over in a year and still break even.

10. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

The ipad is a tablet, not a GPS chip.

The ipad1 has a true GPS chip built into the 3G versions. See any of the teardowns easily available via Google search.

Presumably the same will be true of the ipad2