Wifi issues 5.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajns23, Mar 7, 2012.

1. ajns23 Guest

Anyone else on iOS 5.1 having issues where reconnecting to WiFi from sleep doesn't happen?

Hey all updated to 5.1 from 5.0.1 and everytime my iphone goes to sleep it won't reconnect. i have to manually type in the password and it won't "store" the password if you like.

I also don't get the option to FORGET THIS NETWORK like in previous builds.

Can someone help? is it a bug?

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Sorry, I'm not having that issue so I can't be of any real help other than to know it isn't global. Is it JB? Apps?

3. wifiwife, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

wifiwife macrumors newbie

wifi no longer works with ios V5.1 on ipad 1 3G

Had crashes in ipad safari about every 5 minutes with 5.01, so was hoping that 5.1 would fix that.
    Did update right away, but now wifi no longer works at all (so this actually *did'* fixed the crashes in Safari but not in the way I was expecting)

ipad1 3G says "wifi connected", but internet does no longer works :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Mobile data works, but wifi totally broken.

- turning on/off does not help
    - whole reset doesn't help
    - network settings reset doesn't help
    - dfu restore mode does not help (!)
    - wifi neither works on freshly initialised device, nor after restore
    - playing with various configuration settings does not help

So here is a little WARNING:
    - Do not update ipad1 to v5.1, as long as you do not know for sure in advance how to deal with these wifi problems, in case you experience them too.
    - Research some version downgrade instructions for yourself, BEFORE updating (because you need so save some hash values before. You cannot downgrade any more, if you don't save those hash values).
    Unfortunately I found this out after update, that I missed these steps :(

I upgraded my iphone 4s before and everyting was fine there with wifi, but not on ipad 1.

So better just wait a few days before turning your ipad1 into an expensive offline picture frame.

little update: the black header title shows the wifi icon after about a minute, but wifi settings page looks like it can't connect to wifi,keeps trying to connect wifi without success after update, keeps showing the "please wait" circle right next to the wifi line in settings. But iphone4s and laptop will connect to same wifi without problems.

4. phluke macrumors newbie

After 5.1 update on my 3gs and 4, both doesn't remember wifi network too
    (this will happen after U forget that network and add it again or after a network reset or clean restore and add a new wifi)
    Let's hope someone report it to apple already.

BUT I found a workaround by adding the network manually not by choosing from network that show up in the list.

Within WIFI setting

Choose a Network... > Click Other... > Add your wifi Name manually (if there is security wpa,wpa2 according to your network, also password)

If it remember your network, you will see forget this network button again.
    try airplane mode on,off to see that it can reconnect.
    If not, try network reset and add it manually again.

Hope this help until apple fix it in 5.1.x update
    ps. wonder why this bug occur only in iPhone but not in iPad

5. wifiwife macrumors newbie

wifi trouble solved for my ipad 1 3G

Solution was rather weird: reboot the router/wifi access point.

The weird thing is:
    - There were 4 lan cable based devices on the wifi router, all working fine
    - There was a laptop and an iphone 4s(updated to 5.1) using wifi, also working fine without rebooting router
    - the ipad was working with the wifi router before the 5.1 update, but no longer after.

The reboot (pull power cable, reconnect) of the wifi router now did fix it for the ipad.:confused:

6. onovanday macrumors newbie

iphone 4 wifi drop

My issue is that while playing an online game (celtic heroes), the wifi drops after a while and falls back to 3g. This results in lag and eventually disconnect. If i close the game, the wifi reconnects within a couple seconds. I launch again and can play for a while. happens constantly after this update.

7. Foolking macrumors newbie

3GS wifi issue 5.1

So I noticed that my Bluetooth icon was not in the info bar on my 3GS even though I turned it on. So, after turning off Bluetooth my wifi issue went away as well.
    I have no idea if the two are related, but my phone is now remembering the last network it was connected too.

8. ndpitch macrumors 6502

This is the exact problem I'm having. I did a wipe of my iPhone 4 because it had gotten really slow over the years. my iMessage was having issues activating, so I reset the network settings a couple of times. I finally got iMessage working again. However, now my iPhone disconnects from my home network every 10 minutes, and when I reconnect, it asks for the password every time. It's like it won't remember the network. Really annoying. I'll try your fix and hopefully that works!

9. ndpitch macrumors 6502

10. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i had this same issue also and after tons of trial and error, rebooting the router and upgrading its firmware fixed it. its weird because my ipod touch had no issues staying connected and reconnecting to it automatically.

11. Skeem macrumors newbie

My solution to this problem was to enter the enter the WiFi name manually - eventhough it is on the list of available networks! You also have to enter the security-type (WEP, WPA etc). I use WEP. And then I entered the password when prompted.

I noticed that the router didn't recognize the iPhone (or maybe it is the other way around) eventhough I had tried to reserve the IP-address to the iPhone MAC-address. That was why I tried the above solution - and it works fine for me :)

12. Macnut1 macrumors newbie

iphone shows full connection to internet, but cannot connect

I also have the problem , but show full connection, yet no wifi ! could someone help, phone 4 months old, apple sells, but doesn't support unless u pay more

13. Macnut1 macrumors newbie

Manuel add DNS server

I manually changed my DNS server & it works, I do not have google search, but now bing search, but at least I have wifi service