WiFi Rarely Works Outside of Home....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HappyDude20, Jan 25, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I have a 13inch MBP, from summer 2009.

When i'm at home, i have great WiFi, all the time.

When i'm about and about during my day it is very tough to get WiFi, or at least to connect to it and get online.

@ my friends house I can't go online, even though i have this password and says connected. I've tried using diagnostics but in the end am not connected. @ another friends house the same situation. @ Starbucks and McDonalds it won't connect as well....but at home it always connects.

I've tried created new profiles in System Pref's Network every time hoping it'll self correct but nothing...

The settings are all at default...the only thing i'll ever do is mess around with the i.p. address...

...it usually shows me something like 192.168.1.5

or something similar but since even though it says im connected and yet cant surf the web i'll change it to like 192.168.1.12.....
    i'll even try something like 10.0.0.1

but nothing...

yet, when i go home it connects to my home network.

What gets me most upset is my friend has the very same macbook pro and he usually has had his macbook w/ him wherever we go, he'll be able to connect yet i wont...

help?

As a final result, i'm thinking about do a complete reinstall...would i be able to do this w/ solely the snow leopard disk or would need my leopard disk too? (again, just as a last resort)

2. Kimbie macrumors regular

Kimbie

If your settings are on default it should be looking for a DHCP lease from a DHCP server, most home routers have this, as would hotspots.

Make sure that both ethernet and wifi are set to DHCP and not DHCP Manual or anything like that

Kimbie