Wifi Security on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MikeeV9, Jul 30, 2012.

1. MikeeV9 macrumors member

Good morning!

I'm a big time Olympic fan and my employer has wifi available to use. My Olympic live extra app doesn't work to well on 3G so I want to use the wifi, but had some questions first...

What all will my employer be able to see on my phone after I connect?

1. Text messages?
    2. App usage? Facebook, twitter, instagram, words with friends...
    3. Internet history?
    4. Nudie pics of girls on my phone?
    5. Emails?
    6. Anything else I should worry about?

Note - I do have to enter a password when using the wifi, I'm not sure if that means anything for how secure it is.

Thank you in advance and GO TEAM USA!!

2. cynics macrumors G4

Won't be able to see anything ON your phone. And without the proper equipment won't really be able to see what your doing. Usually if you don't have an IT department then you are safe to look at whatever you want via that Internet connection.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

ON your phone, nothing. Unless:

- your iPhone is hooked up to your employer's MS Exchange server, or some similar server that can set policies on mobile devices, or
    - your iPhone is jailbroken and you have some file system access tolls installed like ssh or ftp (and any passwords you have are easy to crack).

No. Regular text messages don't go through Wifi, and iMessage is encrypted while being sent.

No, but your employer will be able to see any internet traffic that isn't encrypted and goes through their network.

No, but any sites you connect while on the employer's network to can be logged. What you do off that Wifi network, they shouldn't be able to see.

Not unless you download them using your employer's Wifi, or do something stupid like show them to someone there.

Not on the phone itself. But, if you download or send emails while on the boss's Wifi and the connection isn't encrypted, they could see what was downloaded or sent.

I won't get into the morality of using work wifi for non-work things (especially if it's nudie pics or anything you don't want your boss to see). But if you don't trust your boss and yet insist on using his/her Wifi, you should probably sign up for a VPN service and encrypt everything so they can't see what you're doing.