Wifi Speakers to add on to existing Airtunes network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Benito, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I just successfully set up my Airtunes yesterday. I currently have my house wired up with speakers in most rooms connected to my main stereo. I have an Airport Extreme in my den connected to my printer to allow wireless printing. I purchased an Airport Express and connected that to my stereo. I now have music streaming from my MBP to my stereo and can control it with my Remote on my iPhone. It works great and I'm really happy with it.

Now my issue is this, there aren't any outdoor speakers connected to my home stereo. In the summer I'd love to be able to have a party and have the music throughout my house and in my backyard streaming through Airtunes and controlled from my iPhone. Is there a wifi speaker that I can buy that would be portable that I could bring outdoors for the times I want outdoor music played via Airtunes? I have a power outlet so that's not an issue. The speakers would need to wirelessly connect to my N wireless network.

Thanks in advance.

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

I would go for any suitable regular speakers, combined with another Airport Express.

You can have multiple Expresses with Airtunes on the same network, playing individually or synchronized, and control the whole shebang with Remote on the iPhone.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

or you can go the airfoil route.
    it lets you stream audio from any program to windows, linux, OSX, iphone, or ipod touch (presumably also ipad)
    airfoil is a paid app ($25 for the transmit), the receivers are free.

I have an old iPhone (dropped it and half the touch screen doesn't work) in a set of battery powered ipod speakers, can carry it wherever i want to go, although normally it sits in one place plugged in.

this route is a bit more expensive than an express, but if you have an ipod touch, (or need an excuse to buy one) it's a nice setup.

the only downside is since no multi tasking, you can't run remote and speakers at the same time.

4. Benito thread starter macrumors 6502

Benito

Hmmm I guess as itickings said the logical thing would be to get another Airport Express. In my backyard I do have speakers connected to another receiver. Since I already have the set up, just adding another Airport would probably be most cost effective. Thanks.

5. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Yeah, if you already have a receiver and speakers out there, I don't think it is even possible to find a more cost-efficient solution than an additional Airport Express.

Good luck!

6. Benito thread starter macrumors 6502

Benito

Definitely true, for only $99 the Airport Express is pretty cost effective, and setting it up couldn't be any easier.:D