Wifi sync working WITHOUT (as in NOT) being connected to power. Batterygate (lol)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iParis, Oct 5, 2012.

1. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I posted a similar thread yesterday, but this title is a lot less vague.

My iPhone 4 would connect without being connected to power and I thought one of my jailbreak packages made this happen or caused it to glitch out. Then it still did it when I installed iOS 6 and that made me think some setting file carried over from the jailbreak in my backup. BUT now my iPhone 5 is doing it, but I set it up as new, so I have no idea why. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I'm just curious. For me this is awesome since previously it would hardly appear when even connected to a power source.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Also, is this a potential battery life killer? Of course I know that I'll use more battery life when syncing over wi-fi, but not connect to a power source. I'm part of the 8 hours usage and 24 hours usage group, so I'm not getting bad battery life at all. Does it use up more battery life just sitting there in iTunes when not syncing? People claim it to be a battery killer, but when your phone disconnects from wifi when asleep I can't understand how it could have that big of an impact.

2. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Ignore my ignorance. My curiosity answered itself. Haha.

Attached Files:

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

4. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

Adding the -gate suffix to every random issue you have is completely void of wit, humor, or cleverness, especially when this was your mistake.

5. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Every issue? This is the first time I ever used if and I did it out of humor. Some people need a briefing on comical relief. I had heard it let to battery issues, I'm so very sorry for asking if people had experienced such. And I'm curious, what was this "mistake" I made?

6. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Excuse me for following what the user guide says. I know it says it will automatically sync when it connects to power, but there's nothing that even implies it syncs when not connected to power, automatically or not.

Attached Files:

7. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

My iphone 5 wont sync over wifi even when i go into the settings and force it, and yes i have it checked in itunes on my computer.

8. darster Suspended

I had the exact same problem. In fact, every time I tried to run wifi sync either from my iphone 5 or through itunes, it would actually disconnect my imac from the wifi network. It would happen every time. I even rebooted my airport router, imac, iphone, and even did a full restore as new on iphone. Still it would kick my imac off the network. My ipad would sync perfectly.

Now I don't know if what I did next solved the problem, but with the imac and itunes running and wifi sync turned off in itunes, I turned BT on and then off on my iphone. Rebooted my imac and iphone, reconnected my iphone to my imac via the cable, started itunes, let it sync, then turned on wifi sync in itunes, disconnected iphone and ran wifi sync, and it worked perfectly for the first time. I'm thinking that BT somehow inteferes with the 2.4Mhz channel even when it supposedly was off. Turning on and off seemed to fix it.