Wifi tethering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dnbull, Jan 26, 2012.

1. dnbull macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hello,

I'm at a hotel and I noticed it has AT&T wifi. It works great on my iPhone 4 because I'm assuming it picks up that I'm already an AT&T member.

Unfortunately I can't do that on my laptop because I don't have a AT&T Internet membership I guess.

Anyway, is it possible to tether the WIFI (not 3G) from the phone to laptop? My phone is not jail broken by the way.

I know there are tether plans but doesn't that only apply for the "3G" service or does that include wifi connection as well?

Thanks for any input.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

There is no reason why you can't use your phone's credentials to connect to the WiFi. Just use them, you can't rebroadcast WiFi with the iPhone.

TEG

3. dnbull thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I tried using my phone credentials but it won't go through. It seems like it is something extra I would have to go through with AT&T

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It wont work, if its an AT&T wifi it will allow your cellphone but not your laptop or ipad for example to connect.
    There is a Cydia package called MyWi that will take that wifi and rebroadcast it from your phone using wifi again for other devices to connect. But your phone needs to be JB to install MyWi.
    No way to do it on a stock iphone.