WIFI to Edge to 3G back to Edge all in the same spot!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tbird2340, Oct 29, 2008.

1. tbird2340 macrumors member

Ok, so I'm sitting in my living room browsing the net on my iPhone.. I'm connected to my wifi network showing full strength.. I put the phone down for a while, picked it back up and opened a webpage again (still showing I'm connected to my wifi).

Page wasn't loading.. Looked and it had switched to the Edge network.. I go into my wifi settings and it won't connect or pull an IP.. I assign it a static IP and it still won't connect.. It then switches over to 3G for a few and then back to Edge. It still didn't reconnect to my Wifi..

WTH?

Also, I notice the same with my reception.. It will have full bars, then at times say "no service".. :confused::eek:

2. ibizarocks macrumors regular

I know, the iphone is truly pathetic when it comes to this. What makes it worse is that phone reception is one of the most basic concepts of a mobile phone.

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

I had the same problem at home for a few days, but then it stopped. I didn't do anything to my iPhone to fix it, so I'm guessing AT&T was doing something with the tower near me.

4. tbird2340 thread starter macrumors member

What I don't get is why is it dropping my Wifi (never have any issues w/ my Wifi), then going to 3G, then Edge, etc?

5. fleali88 macrumors regular

if you have a laptop or another wireless computer see if it has any connection problems, your router may be malfunctioning or you might have bad signal where you are in your house. try unpluggng your router for 30 sec then plug it back in (i have to do this to people's all the time when something isnt working, then once you do it its back to normal), if your iphone sees that the wifi its on is weak or no signal it will switch to another source(3g/edge) even if your wifi signal on ur iphone is full bars, the router could still have a problem.

6. daisuke07 macrumors regular

Sounds similar today when I lost service when I was in traffic because cars were on all sides and then when we got out and we started moving it came back. I thought there would be no more problems after switching from the metal case to plastic.

7. tbird2340 thread starter macrumors member

I thought I put in my original post but I didn't... I don't ever have any issues with my wifi network. I use my laptop constantly and don't have issue..

8. fleali88 macrumors regular

well is it an "a","b","g", or "n" router, i have heard of probs with iphone connecting to "a" and "b" routers

9. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

Wow.. using "Search" really DOES help! :)

I was going to post this same question - My Wifi connection has been horrible around my house. I've got a Linksys N Router and I can be 2 rooms away (on the same floor as the router) and it'll drop WiFi and use Edge (I'm on a 1st Gen iPhone). Other times I can be downstairs, and it'll happen. Its really frustrating.

I was thinking of bringing it into an Apple store, but I'm not sure if its a hardware or software thing.

Is there a "preferred" encryption type to use? I have my router set to use WPA - would WEP (or something else) be better? I've tried resetting the router to factory settings and checking for a firmware upgrade (none available) - but neither helps.. its only an issue with my iPhone - my MBP works fine everywhere in the house and my Xbox360 is downstairs and connects to the router fine via wireless adapter.. its only the iPhone that drops.