WiFi tough to acquire

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fjs08, Dec 16, 2012.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Wife has an iPhone 4, I have a new iPhone 5.
    Both on Verizon.
    Her phone links right up to our in home wifi, I have to walk around the house to get it to even show as "available" then is will sync up?? Anyway to boost the wifi acquire signal from the iPhone???
    Also issues w iCal. Have to load Noticfication Center to bring up any calendars.
    Then sometimes I see "all" Calendars which isn't more than 2 of my 10 calendars.
    Thoughts... HELP.
    Frank

2. macher macrumors 65816

macher

My experience is the the iPhone 5 isn't as good at getting access to WiFi.

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macher,
    Gezzzz, that's not good to hear.
    Frank

4. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Mine was fine to start with when it was brand new. A few days ago it started acting wierd, slow LTE and wifi. A restart helped but the. It would come back. I did a clean install and it seems to back to new. I've read that there are a lot that are experiencing it. I'm not going to do anything until the next iOS sub-version 6.1 comes out with the hope that its software.

5. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

How sad. As a longtime Apple user, dare I say Fanboy, literally since the days of the Apple II, how sad ....I love the look and feel of the iphone5. But if it doesn't work then what's the point???

6. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Who said it doesn't work?

7. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

It works. I was saying that I think their is a software bug. It's been reported to apple many times now. If it didn't work you'd be hearing about it on the evening news not just a few people talking on a forum. I'd still buy another one in a heartbeat.

8. GRMCKR macrumors newbie

I don't have any problems at all with my iPhone 5 picking up a wifi signal whether I am at home or the library, it connects as soon as I walk in.

9. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess "doesn't work" is relative.
    If I can't get my calendars, and I can't link up to WiFi, and no one can hear me in my house, and I have to go outside.. when my wife's iPhone 4 works from anywhere, then......it doesn't work.
    Frank

10. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Making or receiving calls is a different issue than being able to access WiFi.

11. ejin222 macrumors regular

Same here. I'm having more and more trouble connecting to public WiFi places, like Starbucks or even my Optimum account. At home or at work, no problem. In public, sometimes it'll have that busy signal constantly. I then have to turn off WiFi and use LTE.

The problem also is that even LTE isn't as fast as I had expected it to be. I want to blame it on Hurricane Sandy and downed towers but how long?

12. macher macrumors 65816

macher

I bet the LTE issue is because of congestion.

In Philly when VZW LTE hit the scene it was amazingly fast. Now I get advertise speeds of 5-12 Mbps down and up.

13. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I did a clean install and it helped. Again, I'm waiting for 6.1 to make any real judgement about the hardware. I've seen posts where people have exchanged them and the new one has the exact same symptoms. I can't really remember having a issue straight out if the box. Only after 6.0.1 was installed but I can't be 100%.

LTE was blazing fast when I first got it(release day). Now it has its moments but again I can't pin down if its a VZW issue with the network loading up with users or a software bug in 6.0.1. Hoping 6.1 will be released soon.

14. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macher,
    ROFL, you have a point.....but to be honest, I don't buy an iPhone to just make phone calls....even then my wife's reception w her 4 is great. I've made a few calls from my iphone 5 from around the house and I've had issues.
    I WANT to like this phone. I know Apple, I have a Mac, iPad and iPhone. I really do want it to work, but it's all been a bit discouraging.
    Frank

15. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Call Apple support. Maybe it's your iPhone.

I have issues with WiFi but never had issues with calls.