WiFi usage vs. cell data usage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fuzion11, Jul 5, 2013.

1. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Hey everyone...

I've trying to track my data usage the last month or so and have a couple of questions....I'm a Canadian on the Rogers Wireless network. I use the tracking app designed by Rogers themselves. In the app it tracks plan minutes, text messages and data, as well as long distance and international texts.

My major question is the following...under data usage it will say (for example)

6GB included in plan
    4GB remaining
    2GB used

At work I am on wifi all day long and use my phone a lot for email and surfing the web....will the Rogers app (or similar apps) only track cellular data, as you're only charged for cell data and not wifi data? It's hard to tell if it does it or not with the tests I've done as the meter won't show anything within the past 4 hours, so that's why I'm asking some of you pro's out there.

Also here's a question regarding iBooks...I started reading Game of Thrones, the 4 book set back in last October. I usually saved about 5 book marks per day. I recently got a new iPhone and noticed all my old book marks or notes are still saved on my new iPhone. I have turned off EVERYTHING to do with iCloud (except of course for findmyphone) so how is this data being saved in the cloud, as it were???

Please advise on either or both of my questions and feel free to elaborate on either or. Thanks in advance and happy 4th of July weekend to my US friends out there, who'll likely be the ones to help out here! lol:D

2. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

I use an app called "data man" it tracks cellular and wifi. I liked it so much I paid for the $5 version, but there is a $.99 version too.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dataman-pro-track-data-usage/id572431648?mt=8

3. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Sounds interesting, I'll check that app out when I get home tonight...thanks!

Is there anyone out there who can verify either of my questions from experience?

4. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

Yes, my carrier (AT&T) their tracking app only shows cellular.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'll just try to answer your question by asking you a question.

Since you are paying Rogers for cellular service, what would be the point of Rogers keeping track of your WiFi usage?

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Cellular carriers don't track ur WIFI usage because WIFI doesn't go through their infrastructure.

If u wanto track WIFI, it's all on your own, like buying that App sumbody mentioned.