Wifi vs LTE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jeff5886, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Jeff5886, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

Jeff5886 macrumors regular

Sorry if this has been covered before. My 4G LTE on my Verizon iPhone five is about double the speed of my Wi-Fi. My question is should I just turn my Wi-Fi on my iphone off and use my 4G exclusively? Obviously that this will get the better speed, but will using 4G exclusively destroy my battery life? Thanks.

Edit: yes, unlimited data.

2. slumpey326 macrumors 6502

one thing to consider also is are you still on an unlimited data plan? I am in the same boat, LTE is about double my wifi. Good thing for me is that I am still under unlimited data and not planning on giving that up anytime soon. :)

3. speed4tu macrumors member

My LTE used to be faster but has recently slowed down. Guess its from all the iPhones using it now. Wanna try one for myself. Had to let the 4S go to get another phone that utelized 4G. Also I'm on unlimited also!

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Obviously I don't know anything else about the rest of your setup, but you might want to keep in mind that putting your device solely on LTE will put your phone in a bubble. So no airplay or airprint. No using the phone as a remote for your AppleTV or Mac (or any other non-apple devices that speak to the phone over your network) and no iTunes home sharing.

5. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

One of the considerations you have to make, when thinking about such things as decreased battery, is whether it actually matters that you're getting higher speeds. Remember the 'speed' you're taking about is the bandwidth, how wide the pipe is. You're likely getting better ping times from your wi-fi than over cellular. In the end, does it really matter if you're opening a webpage on a 20Mbps stream or a 5 Mbps stream? It's still going to feel the same unless its laden with huge graphics that take forever to load. It's likely that the ping times would slow you down on LTE vs wifi but it's probably not even going to be that noticeable.

If you're listening to Pandora or iTunes Match songs, it's just downloading in the background. It really doesn't matter if it took 20 seconds or 40 seconds because it's loading in the background while playing. You're not going to catch up and buffer. Both connections are fast enough to make the experience seamless.

I don't know how your wifi Internet connection is. Mine is rock solid reliable and has been for over 10 years. I've never had fluctuations in speed. I can't say the same thing about LTE at all. I frequently get a rollercoaster of slowdowns and speedups. One speed test may say I'm at 18Mbps and a minute later it says 2.5. I've never had consistency in LTE in any way.

As DeaconGraves said above me, you're also taking your phone off your network. I use my phone and iPad with my AppleTV frequently.

6. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

My speed tests for LTE in no way correlate to my real world speeds which is weird. I recently ran speed tests on my wifi and LTE and my wifi was faster but then I used hot spot and then downloaded the same app on my computer but my LTE downloaded it 5 times faster. Weird. I run LTE all the time except when I want to use air play and sync over wifi.