WiFi when connected to a network sucks my battery dry in 8-10 hours (even in standby)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dbell, Jul 11, 2007.

1. dbell macrumors member

As the title states, with WiFi off or when I am not connected to a WiFi Network the phone can last 2+ days without a charge. When I have WiFi active and it is connected (at home) it last only about 8-10 hours? Is this normal? Does the connection stay active even when the phone is in standby and no applications are active?

2. yayaba macrumors 6502

Wifi is going to be a bettery drainer no matter what. When you're not connected to a network it still has to scan the surrounding areas to find a network.

If you aren't going to use it, just turn it off. Do you need it always on?

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Thats how it is with any Wi-Fi enabled device, not just phones. You turn it off yourself when you don't need it.

4. Educ8r macrumors 6502a

Educ8r

I've had the same issue

5. digduggler macrumors regular

Totally. One day with it on, two days without (with moderate to heavy use).

It is easy to turn on, so just leave it off.

So far the biggest things to save battery (IMO) appear to be:

1) WiFi off
    2) WiFi off
    3) WiFi off
    4) Minimize phone use (hoard those rollover minutes!)
    4.5). Brightness setting (get as low as you can comfortably bear)

The irony of 4 does not escape me.

6. mitchlandry macrumors member

I'm not seeing the sam thing. Maybe the battery meter on mine is incorrect or something.
    I leave wifi turned on, at work from about 7:30 - 5 with email check into exchange set to 15 min. When i leave to head home my battery meter is at about 1/2.

this also includes some phone usage, browser usage and the occasional demos to coworkers.

7. CybrMike macrumors member

If you turn your Email check to manual your battery will last for a couple days instead of just one.

8. mitchlandry macrumors member

I understand that, i was just pointing out that I get a good bit of use with wi-fi left on and email check set to 15 min, at least in my opinion. What i really need is activesync, since every 15 min option sucks, but don't know how that would effect the battery usage.

9. applehero macrumors 6502

Mine doesn't do this. I have my wifi on all the time at home and it doesn't drain the battery at all overnight. I leave it unplugged with wifi on and it still has a full charge come morning.

10. Deathknight macrumors newbie

I have not experienced this either. I haven't turned wifi off yet and have had no issues with my battery life.