Wii Remote Broke Brand New TV, Cover/Warranties Etc.?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Goftrey, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

The family decided to have a game of bowling on the wii, I had the first go.. The Wii remote slipped out of my hand, smashing the TV (LCD)

There's a spiderweb crack about 20x20cm in the lower left of the TV and there are lines every couple of inches or so going across the screen.

We bought the TV from argos about a month ago and were wondering if it is covered by accidental damage. We rung up about contents insurance and we'd have to pay a £100 excess, and then the quote would go up etc etc.

Any ideas or any suggestions you can think of? Have any of you smashed your TV by lobbing a Wii remote at it? What did you do?

Thanks.

2. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear now, but that's what the strap on the Wiimote is for.

I doubt it's covered unless you bought an additional accidental warranty to cover it. You might get lucky with customer service (which would be the place you should call) but that's probably about it.

Edit: I've only seen Youtube videos of people smashing their tv in with a remote. That's about it.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Some credit cards offer accidental damage coverage for purchases. You might check with them.

And be sure to always use the strap in the future.;)

4. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

You normally have to pay extra for accidental damage insurance on top of contents. Yes there will be an excess and you may lose your no claims, just consider whether that or buying a new TV would be cheaper.

5. borisiii macrumors 6502

Were you using the rubber protective case and wrist strap? Sorry to be that guy but that's what they're for.

Your best bet would be to go ahead with that claim on your home insurance. They can (and almost certainly will) use the fact that you enquired about making a claim to increase your premium at your next renewal.

Even if you don't claim, they will use the information from your conversation to build up a profile of you, and now they know you broke your tv, they will label you as more accident prone - this information is linked to you for a few years and follows you around even if you move to another insurer.

Long story short, your enquiry has already cost you and it won't cost a lot more to make a claim. The system sucks, but that's how it works.

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Did you buy the TV on a credit card? Some offer accidental damage protection for things bought on the card, so you might have some luck there...

7. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

To me at least, it seemed like there were 40 or so warnings when I got my Wii.

On the box, on the instructions, on the remote, on the Wii itself, when you power up, before you start a game. Seriously.

I guess they need 41 warnings.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Thread title is inaccurate.

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Exactly...Wii Remotes don't kill TV's...people do. ;)

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Oh man, people are still not using the straps on their wii remotes?

11. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

To everyone calling me an idiot, which fair play I am at times, :p I got the Wii pre-owned at Christmas and it didn't come with straps, I ordered some but they still haven't come. I thought to myself, ''what are the chances of it slipping out my hand''.... How wrong could I be.

Anyway I've got the claim all sorted, I'll have to pay the £100 excess fee but it won't effect my no claims. So it's all good, kinda'..

12. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

No one directly called you an idiot...

But many of us were thinking it. :p