Wii Shortages this coming holiday season?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by jeremy.king, Aug 6, 2008.

1. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I was just wondering if I should start stockpiling Wiis for the upcoming holiday shopping season (only two months away!)? Do you guys expect more of the same shortages (manufactured or real)?

2. scott85213 macrumors member

It probably won't be as ridiculous as last Christmas, but I imagine there will still be quite a bit of demand.

Most stores around me still sell out of their Wii's pretty quickly.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Probably too early to tell.
    But from a year that had Mario Kart, Brawl and Wii Fit one could assume it's going to be a hectic xmas.

Especially if Wii Sports Resort is out this year.

4. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Do you think they'll release it before Yule? It comes bundled with MotionPlus, which, I thought was supposed to be released in early '09....

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

do you own a store? (good answer) or just want to exploit the stupidity of mankind by reselling on ebay? (bad answer)

6. jeremy.king thread starter macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I only exploit using Craigslist...

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

that makes it oh so much better. God bless open markets....

8. Woz Beard macrumors regular

Woz Beard

Hmm.....to sell or not to sell my seldom used Wii, that is the question!

9. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Not to sell. That is the answer.

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

because of.....? Wii Sports 2?

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Exactly, there isn't anything too memorable coming to the Wii. At least nothing that they have previewed as being on the horizon. My Wii is great at one thing nowadays, collecting dust.

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

∆∆
    Like the rest of your place. You should probably buy a dust-buster. :p

You guys must be living at home, out of work, and on your parent's dime, in order to play all of the Wii games that are available. :eek:

<]=)

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm glad I'm not one of these modern spoilt day gamers who can only play new games on their system :D It's probably taboo but I've been playing old games on my 360 and Wii, games I still love to play (Brawl, Kart, GTA IV) and games I need to finish.

Anyone care to explain this new gaming mentality? Or do you just all have so much free time you can beat all these AAA titles? I've got all the big AAA 360 and Wii titles and probably more free time than most and there are still games I haven't opened :p

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

One thing I've seen first hand, is that newer isn't always better. :)

GTA IV is coming to PC. I'm still on the fence with this game, but I'll try a demo.

One Wii game that I'm actually looking forward to is Ghostbusters.

<]=)

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i never got that either .. i have no problem either buying a 2 year old game i haven't played back in the day and wasting my time on that ... (2 weeks ago i bought Dawn of War for 5 bucks and it's keeping me occupied since then )

i didn't bought rome:total war and hearts of iron at release either..

and then next games are in the mail again... metal slug anthology and excite truck for 10 bucks each and for another 10 bucks both civ4 add ons

16. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

If the guy never plays the system, why keep it? My point was, there isn't much amazing on the horizon so if he isn't playing his older games, get something that he WILL use. And your "old games" are all from less than 6 months ago.... I think most of us are playing a backlog dating back a hell of a lot longer than that.

17. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

It's always the younger guys that prematurely jump the gun and sell their consoles and it's because of inexperience.

The ONLY game on the horizon that's really worth playing on any system is Dragon Age: Origins.

You guys are just going to have to exfoliate your dead skin longer, as this game is being built properly from the get go and not being pushed through the PlaySkool filter called a console.

<]=)

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Think the only game I'm looking forward to (on any console) is Monster Hunter Freedom 3. Should give me time to beat Prime 3 and MH2.

19. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

MH3 should be good.

Have you played Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law speaking of Capcom? :)

I'm looking forward to COD5, since it's back to WW2. I played COD4 demo on my PC, because that punctuation guy liked it, and it's great, but I'm not to keen on its modern subject.

I'm also looking forward to Fatal Frame.

<]=)

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^ Really? WWII seems so played out. They couldn't even make it ONLY in Japan, they had to add European theatre as well (our 5th CoD trip there). The weapons in CoD4 were such a nice change from bolt-action rifles.

Still, I hope Treyarch can do something as good as Infinity Ward can...

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Am I the only one who thinks it rather pathetic of Nintendo to still have Wii shortages this far after the release. It seems to be a never ending shortage of them. Nintendo clearly has a supply problem and does not want to admit it or solve it.

More they could just be producing very few units to make it seem like it hotter than it really is.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Huh, there are no Wii shortages. They occur during the holiday period because, well, they sell extremely well just like any other sought after item. Not seen the sales figures?
    It's not as if they're producing few and selling few. They're producing a lot and selling a lot.

23. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

people still moan about not being able to find any. I see them around but not like the 360 or PS3. The point Prime was making, I think anyway, is that Nintendo is selling a lot, but they could sell MORE, but they don't seem to be doing anything about it. Some exec from Nintendo said the demand surprises him, yeah for the last 2 years? Contract some more cheap Chinese labor and get the damn things on the shelves in greater numbers.

24. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yep, it has been played out, no disagreement on that point.

Call me weird, but I'm not into playing a war game that's somewhat relevant to current affairs.

As for modern weapons, the Javelin was great.

Treyarch is using the COD4 engine and this isn't their first time, so they would really have to just give up to do a bad job.

Your hope is useless. :D

<]=)

25. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Nintendo wants to reach all gamers, so they're tailoring to a much larger market that everyone else has ignored, and in those 2 years, the Wii has become the fast selling console to date.

I recall that Nintendo was opening new plants to try and keep up with the demand?

<]=)