Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Wiki: Qi Chargers not working with the iPhone 12/Pro/Max due to the magnets

lordhamster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
As I predicted 3rd party QI charger companies have already started adding magnets to their chargers. The one linked below just popped up on my amazon search. I currently have a YooTech stand charger that works well with my iPhone 12 Pro Max, I expect this one should also... albeit at 7.5w only but with the benefit of the perfect alignment. Note... I've not bought this one yet as I have two YooTech stand chargers that I got for my old Pixel 4XL that still work, but for folks looking for overnight slow-charging this one seems like a decent effort.

Comment

Hooterville

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2012
My Samsung wireless fast charger works perfect with the iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Fun Fact: The light on the Samsung charger actually turns green when the 12PM is fully charged, first time in history that an iPhone worked correct with the lights on this Samsung charger.

Reactions: lordhamster
Comment

TheIntruder

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2008
As I predicted 3rd party QI charger companies have already started adding magnets to their chargers. The one linked below just popped up on my amazon search. I currently have a YooTech stand charger that works well with my iPhone 12 Pro Max, I expect this one should also... albeit at 7.5w only but with the benefit of the perfect alignment. Note... I've not bought this one yet as I have two YooTech stand chargers that I got for my old Pixel 4XL that still work, but for folks looking for overnight slow-charging this one seems like a decent effort.

That's pretty good to have such a charger shipping within about a month of Apple's version, albeit without the 15W level. It's likely to be less picky about the power source as well.

But the real test, and remaining question is whether Apple will permit 15W from 3rd party chargers, or made it a proprietary standard.

Comment

lordhamster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
That's pretty good to have such a charger shipping within about a month of Apple's version, albeit without the 15W level. It's likely to be less picky about the power source as well.

But the real test, and remaining question is whether Apple will permit 15W from 3rd party chargers, or made it a proprietary standard.
Over in the car charger thread, there is a link to a charger from a company called "Zeera" that claims to be able to charge at 15W. I'm doubtful because I assumed some sort of NFC handshake was required to verify MFI or something.

Comment

marzfreerider

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Canada

Fun Fact: The light on the Samsung charger actually turns green when the 12PM is fully charged, first time in history that an iPhone worked correct with the lights on this Samsung charger.

What Samsung one are you using? Stand up or lay down? I have a Samsung standing wireless charger that does not work. If I lay the charger flat, I can only get it to charge by placing the 12 PM sideways on the charger.

Reactions: Lsmachado
Comment

BeatCrazy

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2011

That "green light when fully charged" on Samsung Qi chargers was actually enabled as part of iOS 14, it's not unique to the iPhone 12 lineup.

Comment

Hooterville

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2012
What Samsung one are you using? Stand up or lay down? I have a Samsung standing wireless charger that does not work. If I lay the charger flat, I can only get it to charge by placing the 12 PM sideways on the charger.
The newer standup one.
IMG_0089.JPG

Reactions: marzfreerider
Comment

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
I’ve been charging iPhone 12 Pro Max on the Nomad Base Station every night so I’m surprised to see people saying it doesn’t charge on that.

Reactions: diego.caraballo
Comment

lordhamster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
I’ve been charging iPhone 12 Pro Max on the Nomad Base Station every night so I’m surprised to see people saying it doesn’t charge on that.
I saw a video on YouTube where they stated that Nomad released a firmware update to fix this issue. So depending on your firmware, you may have charging, or maybe not. Anyone having nomad issues should look into it.

Update: Googled it: https://nomadgoods.com/pages/freepower-update

FreePower® Software v1.0.4​

FreePower® technology is always becoming more advanced, the newest software update has the following improvements:

• Improved support for iPhone 12 Series
  • Note: For best results, update your iPhone to the latest iOS 14.2 and restart your phone before charging on your updated Base Station Pro.
  • Release date: 11/4/2020

Comment

lordhamster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
I have the Zens Liberty Wireless charger and I noticed that it's not working properly with the iPhone 12. I think this might be due to the fact that it's a "AirPower"-like device that has multiple coils, and magnets (MagSafe) obviously interferes with Qi chargers.
Can anyone with a multi-coil "free placement" charger test? For example the new Nomad Charger or the Zens Liberty?

Confirmed Qi chargers not working with the iPhone 12/Pro
Can you update the Wiki? The NOMAD base Station Pro has a firmware update which fixes the issue as quoted in the above post.

Comment

Lsmachado

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2018
Texas
I have the same one, but in white (Model #EP-N5200, manufacture date 08/2019). Funny thing, I always kept it plugged into the outlet, and never unplugged it. It would only charge my Pro Max in a horizontal or “sideways” position. So I got aggravated and bought a different wireless charger.

Long story short, after being unplugged and put away for a couple of days, I decided to try it again. I’m not sure if it reset the charger or maybe triggered some kind of firmware update, but it’s working fine when I put the Max on it now. No struggling with proper placement or anything. I left it on there for 8 to 10 minutes to see if the red light would start flashing, but it didn’t. I hope it lasts.
5409B5F4-040F-490E-90DA-76DA131708CC.jpeg

Comment

Rbk23

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2014
I got an iPhone 11 yesterday and it will not work on my 2 Choetech T539-S's. It will charge for 2 seconds then stop charging and then the charger flashes 5 times quickly. These chargers have worked fine for my XR. Isn't the 11 the same as the XR basically? It not different like the 12s.

Comment

RealPhone

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Norway

Anker Wireless Charger, PowerWave Pad, Qi-Certified, 7.5W for iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, Xs Max, XR, XS, X, 8, 8 Plus, 10W for Galaxy S10 S9 S8, Note 10 Note 9 (No AC Adapter) works just fine with my new iPhone 12 Pro.​

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.