Wikileaks diplomatic files speculation thread

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Queso macrumors G4

So the US State department is currently launching a charm offensive towards a number of countries, fearing that Wikileaks is about to release large amounts of disparaging diplomatic communiques that may upset their friends and allies around the world.

Just as a bit of fun, what do we think may be in the files? Do they label Tony Bliar as a "snivelling toady" for instance? Or refer to Angela Merkel as "Sarkozy's Love Poodle"? Is this going to be something super-embarrassing for the US or just going to cause a huge shrug?

2. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Looks to be about to happen,Alan Rusbridger has apparently tweeted that the Government are issuing a D-notice to prevent publication,hopefully the Guardian has the balls to publish anyway.Hinted at already is Turkish support for Al-Queda in Iraq and U.S. support for the Kurds in Turkey.This could be interesting.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

How in the Hell can the U.S. play SIM-WORLD successfully, if their strategy is published. :eek:

5. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

6. Peterkro, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010

Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

This email is from Guido Fawkes site:

Sent: Fri 26/11/2010 12:42

To: Sunday Telegraph; Ian Martin; Sunday Telegraph; Channel Five; Caroline Wyatt; C4 News Desk; Sun; Kevin Brown; Sunday Mail; Mail on Sunday; Five TV; Associated Press TV; William Lewis; Tim Marshall; Press Gazette; Allister Heath; Jonathan Collett; Daily Telegraph; Daily Record; Evening Standard; Daily Star; Independent on Sunday; Observer; Foresight News; Daily Express; Sunday Times; Financial Times; Associated Press; Times; Spark FM; chris wissun; Sunday Mirror; Sunday Herald; News of the World; Tom Newton-Dunn; Stephen Abell; Scotsman; Press Association; BFBS Will Inglis; Will Gore; Mark Birdsall; Guardian; Daily Mail; Daily Mirror; People; Foresight News; Telegraph Legal; Glenmore Trenear-Harvey; Sunday Post; Reuters; ITV News Desk; Independent; Evening Times; Jonathan Grun; Glasgow Herald; Five TV

Subject: DA Notice Letter of Advice to All UK Editors – Further Wikileaks Disclosures

To All Editors

Impending Further National Security Disclosures by Wikileaks

I understand that Wikileaks will very shortly release a further mass of US official documents onto its internet website. The full scope of the subject matter covered by these documents remains to be seen, but it is possible that some of them may contain information that falls within the UK’s Defence Advisory Notice code. Given the large number of documents thought to be involved, it is unlikely that sensitive UK national security information within these documents would be recognised by a casual browser. However, aspects of national security might be put at risk if a major UK media news outlet brought such information into obvious public prominence through its general publication or broadcast.

Therefore, may I ask you to seek my advice before publishing or broadcasting any information drawn from these latest Wikileaks’ disclosures which might be covered by the five standing DA Notices. In particular, would you carefully consider information that might be judged to fall within the terms of DA Notice 1 (UK Military Operations, Plans and Capabilities) and DA Notice 5 (UK Intelligence Services and Special Forces). May I also ask you to bear in mind the potential consequential effects of disclosing information which would put at risk the safety and security of Britons working or living in volatile regions where such publicity might trigger violent local reactions, for example Iran, Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan?

As always, I am available 24/7 to offer DA Notice guidance…

Yours Sincerely,

Andrew Vallance

Air Vice-Marshal
    Secretary, Defence Press and Broadcasting Advisory Committee

(insurance.aes256 is on PB)

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Here's a novel idea...

Don't do things that cause embarrassment when they're exposed.

Fat 'effin' chance of that! :rolleyes:

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

We are too far down in the pecking order to even comprehend the machinations that go on in the political circus.

There are so many strings being pulled, it's like a ****ing quilt.

9. Peterkro, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

As far as is known Der Spiegel and the Guardian are to start publishing in this evenings issues(21.30 U.K. time),some info about how the worlds media is covering the story on this site:
    http://wlcentral.org/

Wikileaks servers are the down due to DDOS attack(back up)

Der Spiegel,Guardian,Le Monde,El Pais and New York Times to publish some tonight (GMT)

http://owni.fr/2010/11/27/wikileaks...medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+Owni+(Owni)

Twitter #cablegate

Guardian coverage is starting(18.30 GMT)

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

regarding "super embarassment": according to some sources it includes informations how turkey supported Al-Kaida operations in iraq and how the US sponsored the kurdish PKK in turkey .. so at least in some regions of the world this is going to be a huge uproar

the fact that the US ammbasador in germany went to give a interview with the Bild (the german version of the 'Sun') of today should tell you something that quite a bit of stuff for the german-US relations is gonna be released

the biggest irony is of course how over the whole Wikileaks discussion the US repeats over and over how it is illeagal after US law .. ignoring the fact that this isn't made public in the US:rolleyes:

11. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

No, the biggest irony is that Wikileaks apparently makes media outlets sign confidentiality agreements to get access to the early documents.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Some o' ya bitch, no travel to the States for YOU (publishers) EVER!!! :p

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I find it hysterical how our government keeps pushing against these things kinds of things being release. You mean to tell me the rest of the world is going to be pissed when they find out about all the **** you pull?

MAYBE YOU SHOULD STOP TREATING THE REST OF THE WORLD LIKE IT IS BENEATH YOU.

14. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

There are three very serious concerns I have about WikiLeaks

1. How do we know these documents are real? If anyone can post anything to a wiki site.
    2. How did they get their hands on these documents?
    3. If they are they are real then, how can we be sure that terrorists wont use this site to get their hands on information we don't want them to have?

I'm all for whistle blowing, but let's not forget what we're up against.
    We haven't been successfully attacked by terrorists in a long time, but recently we've come very close twice (underwear bomber, times square bomber). It's only dumb luck that they weren't smart enough to do their job. If they had been, we'd be out of luck.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

1. It only has wiki in the name. It is not run like a wiki site.

2. Whistleblowers.

3. The documents Wikileaks releases are heavily redacted for names, groups, etc to avoid as much blowback as possible. Most of this information is just stuff from the past as well. The only use terrorists could get out of this stuff is propaganda, as people tend to get pissed when they learn the truth about how America operates and regards the rest of the world.

16. 184550, Nov 28, 2010

184550 Guest

Link to the NYT article. They're calling it Part 1 of 9.

I think that Mr. Assanges life is about to get much more difficult that it was- sexual assault allegations in Sweden, INTERPOL warrant, etc...

It's worth noting that when they leaked the Afghan War Diary (and perhaps the Iraq Documents too?) they failed to redact the names of HUMINT sources. This immediately put the HUMINT sources lives, and their families lives, in danger. I doubt we'll ever know the true amount of damage that did to US HUMINT in Afghanistan (and perhaps Iraq).

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Which is exactly why since then they have taken months to pour through documents to redact names and such delicate information. Look at the Iraq documents which they kept delaying to continue going through.

They've learned. There is still no reason why such information should be allowed to be hidden from the American people. Our detachment from the actual workings of our country is the main reason why we, The People, have little if any real power to change things here.

18. 184550 Guest

Eh, the damage has been done. Saying 'Sorry' doesn't bring someone, or their family, back to life.

This is precisely the reason that information like this should be kept from a group of people who lack the ability to understand the implications and risks involved in leaking information of this calibre.

It takes an extremely arrogant and selfish person, such as Assange, to think that he's actually done well in leaking this information.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ah, so you subscribe to the idea that those in power truly know whats best and the rest shouldn't have a role or even be allowed to know whats going on. Glad to know that when it boils down to it you really are in favor of an elite hierarchy.

We are continuously lied to by governments and the media. We should be allowed to know what is really going on when these things directly effect our lives and the world we live in.

I also find it funny that you think the loudmouth Assange is somehow responsible for the release of this information. There are hundreds of people involved at wikileaks, he is the talking head spokesperson with way too big an ego. That doesn't detract from the good the rest of the crew are doing.

20. 184550, Nov 28, 2010

184550 Guest

If they lack the ability to understand what's going on? Yes. Idiots shouldn't be given or put in positions of power. Being a citizen of a country does not entitle one to know everything single thing that goes on. Perhaps in an ideal world, but not a realistic one.

Shhh.... I think I hear black helicopters.

You are aware that he is the editor-in-chief of Wikileaks? All final informational and document release decisions are made by solely by him. The Guardian had an article about the power struggle/ system in Wikileaks not too long ago, I'll see if I can find it.

I find it funny that you admire Wikileaks yet lack basic knowledge of who/ how it operates.

EDIT:

Here's an article from Spiegel that partially details the power struggle and falling out over Wikileaks. I'm still looking for The Guardian article, though this article is much better than TGs.

21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

US soldier, Bradley Manning, is accused of:

22. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

What exactly is the good that this crew is allegedly doing?

Of the batch of documents that I have seen out of this release, there is absolutely nothing that breaks with the general conventional wisdom of what well-informed reporters already know.

If the people who work for wikileaks can't reduce the number of documents they want to actually release to something that is remotely manageable for people to consume, they are just lazy.

Ultimately, what they are doing is not moving American classification regulations towards a more open system. More documents will be classified. More documents will remain classified for longer periods of time. The penalties for leaking documents will increase.

The whole exercise is counterproductive.

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

We have tried to learn, really, we have. We had nearly a decade of hard lessons on that.

24. 184550 Guest

As soon as I typed that, I knew there would be GWB references. :p

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

What? Oh, I was alluding to the 80s.