Wikileaks "Doomsday File"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by freeny, Dec 8, 2010.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

2. gilkisson, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2010

gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

If it ain't of the magnitude of JFK/Bigfoot/Area 51/Hitler is still alive/etc, it's not going be the "thermonuclear" device his lawyer thundered on about. Given that his only revealed source of his cables is Manning, and a limited timespan for Manning to collect, within limited channels... Yeah, I'd say its a bluff.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

see statements like that prove to me that the founder is still just as bad as the rest of the media and he wants to get away with things that are not legal.

4. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I don't know I'd lump Assange in with "real" reporters/journalists. Mind you, I'm not referring to the TV put-it-in-front-of-me-and-I-will-read-it-isn't-my-hair-pretty moving mouths that constitute "journalism" today... I'm talking about Cronkite, Levine, (early) Rather...

Assange is a megalomaniac, not a defender of the Freedom of the Press.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That I can agree with. He has other problems and this statement just handed very easy crime to a lot of countries. Blackmail and blackmailing government is not a good idea. Blackmail is against the law in a lot of countries as well.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

7. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Okay, if he has had this "Doomsday" file...why then did he turn himself in?

Is there video of Assange actually saying this, or are we relying on "sources"? I noticed very little hard attribution in the OP's link.

I call shenanigans.

8. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

I believe the source is Assange's own lawyer.

9. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

It is indeed.

http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/with-assange-arrest-will-wikileaks-go-thermonuclear/19749541

10. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Hopefully it shuts down the entire internet forever.

11. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Can't support a site that just revealed vital national security locations and putting the lives of the people that live and work there in danger.

They had somewhat of my support until they released that.

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I wonder if the activities of Wikileaks will convince national security/Intelligence agencies that a free and open internet is too insecure for them, and if they decide to clamp down on freedom of information, how they will go about doing it.

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Thank you ... my sister lives very close to the Pickering Nuclear Plant in southern Ontario.

I also do not agree to some of the material being released ... some of the leaks are security breaches.

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

ALL of them are security breaches....it's just that we all disagree on which leaks are OK and which aren't.

The key point is that governments are going to work together to ensure that Wikileaks is killed, and that is wrong.

15. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

But if governments know that they can do everything and go unpunished,
    then they will continue doing the bad things.

If they will be afraid of, i.e. "If people will know that info, they will not vote for us next time",
    their behavior will be better.

Of course, you can choose the simple way - close your eyes and ears;
    but the ignorance is causing a lot of evils for mankind.

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Some of the leaks are just plain nothing and not even worth the time it takes to read them. Those do not breach security at all.

The leaks I am referring to are specifically the ones detailing Nuclear Power Facilities. What purpose or reason would they be released?

17. Queso macrumors G4

You find worse than that on Google Maps.

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Are you suggesting that a nuclear power station could be build and it's existence wouldn't be common knowledge?

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I haven't read them, so I don't know. Do they expose security vulnerabilities? Or upkeep issues? Just because security is preserved doesn't necessarily mean we are safe. One of the nuclear plants in Ohio recently came frighteningly close to a possible meltdown scenario when it was discovered that one of the people responsible for performing safety checks had been forging them for years. No security breach there, but we were close to disaster.

I am not categorically against the idea of an organization taking risks to expose uncomfortable truths. If they can expose them, other people can - so quashing them doesn't make us safe.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But you don't know what you are looking at. If he has all this information why hold it hostage, just release it all at once. The fact that he is using it as a bargaining chip proves he has ulterior motives.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

problem I am seeing is wikileaks has quickly been going from a site release classified stuff to a site that is more being run by people who want nothing but choas and would love nothing more than the mass choas caused by fighting and distrust. The mass media already shows that it cares little about the truth and will go threw and look for little things and blow them out of propotion.

The head of wiki leaks as someone pointed out is a megalomaniac and does not care about the truth. his blackmail stunt is part of that proof and on those charges he will go down if they choose to follow them. Blackmail is illegal. The sight is threatening blackmail. Yet another thing the entire thing is doing that is illegal. It left being what it was supposed to be a LONG LONG time ago.
    cause chaos. Just because they are classifide does not mean they should be release to the public. Neclear power facilities are a key example of them.

22. Queso macrumors G4

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think there's plenty to suggest Assange is being railroaded by several governments who colluding in order to silence his "organization". It's no coincidence that he's brought up on charges just as his site begins to become really irritating to said governments.

Of course, shutting down Napster didn't stop internet piracy, did it? Wikileaks may be killed, but the passage of leaked information will not stop. Anyone who thinks that jailing this guy will stop the leaks is badly mistaken.

24. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Google Maps were used strategically by the attackers in Mumbai India.

just because you can find instructions online to make bombs ... does that make it OK for others to provide links and more information on how to make it easier?

25. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I think Visa tech people are about to make a fortune in overtime payments,#anonymous about to switch targets.