Wikileaks given data on Swiss bank accounts

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Kauai, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Kauai macrumors 6502a

BBC Link

As someone whom has been fairly critical of Wikileaks I can't really say I'm against this. They may not be violating Swiss law but plenty of these bank accounts likely violate other nations laws. I can't remember where exactly it was but I read an article a while ago that said it's likely that trillions of dollars are held in offshore accounts to avoid paying tax. So yeah, I hope this exposes hundreds of rich criminal pigs.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey- I'm all for this. WikiLeaks does not bother me at all.

3. Queso macrumors G4

More interesting to me is Rudolf Elmer stating that there are a number of politicians on the list. Let's see who's been abusing their position to feather their nest shall we?

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- this is gonna be good.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I am very much against this

This is pathetic on wikileaks part

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

seems to be a common pattern with Wikileaks founder Assange and his sources ... Prison is their future.

7. Queso macrumors G4

At least in the case of Elmer he has clearly broken laws. The charges thrown together to try and shut Assange up are transparently desperate in comparison.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

How so? They have done nothing wrong, and indeed may be doing the world a great service.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Tax evasion is a serious crime. Why do you want to protect criminals?

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Just as long it exposes politicians and the super wealthy who are evading taxes, I am for it because it shows illegal activity by our leaders, etc.

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

mark my words ...Mr Assange will be going to Prison ... and will be incarcerated much longer than any of his snitches. :cool:

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Maybe. We'll have to wait and see.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Because I feel their are better avenues to find out if people are being criminal. Giving up personal bank information is not the way to do it.

Just because some people may be exposed as criminals as a result of this doesn't mean everyone is and thus for the sake of those individuals, the giving up of this information is wrong.

Having a Swiss bank account is legal. To assume having one means one is conducting criminal behavior is a bold claim

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

From the OP:

Bold for emphasis. More than likely, those who are in the clear will not have their data published; hence the vetting process.

BL.

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I totally agree with duke ... if you are going to expose anyone's Bank information ... whether the account seems suspect or not?

You better have court worthy evidence to prove that the funds are illegal or the account is there to avoid taxes ... on every one of them.

other than that ... just more self-serving Wikileak crap.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm actually a supporter of wikileaks and their mission. However, vetting means that they've taken on the role of judge and jury. Why not hand the information over to the authorities and let them decide who the criminals are?

If for some reason the authorities don't follow up or appear to be unjustly protecting some people perhaps then the story could be pursued from that angle.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

M

My guess is this info will be worthless for trail and be thrown out in court because it was obtain illegally as such anything discovered or pursused because of it is declare worthless and can not be used in court.

This is wrong as it is private info that was handed over.
    In publishing this wikileaks just handed charges to be pressed against it on a silver platter. Wikileaks could also be sued into bankrupt over this.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

All the authorities would do is hand it back to Switzerland.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I have always held that Switzerland owes their continued existence, over the years, to the suffering of common people in many countries. Not a fan of their banking "laws".

Needless to say, I am all for these disclosures, if and when they actually occur.

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The German Government has purchased several CDs containing stolen data from Swiss bank accounts to help it's fight against tax evasion so I don't see why this new information won't be used in a similar way.

21. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Although I pulled it slightly out of its context, this is the best sentence in this thread, and the best definition of Wikileaks I've seen.

22. Queso macrumors G4

How does that differ from what media organisations across the globe do on a daily basis?

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

depends on the country and the local laws. I could easy see this be thrown out in US courts. Even in Germany from the article it states there are huge questionably of legality and yet again it might still get toss out in court.

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Indeed that bastion of freedom the dirty digger owns a paper that illegally tapped phones and downloaded banking details,when caught it threw a minion to the wolves,did it stop them publishing the stories so obtained ,did it F.. .

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sounds good, on paper, but Governments are political entities, and might pick and choose who they will go after.

And the Swiss are barred from saying anything, because of their laws.