Wikileaks is built inside a former WWII Bunker ... link with pics

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Apple OC, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well good for him. He's doing nothing wrong, or at least nothing illegal. The fact that the US government, which shouldn't have any voice on what type of "punishment" Assange should receive due to jurisdiction, would be willing to change their laws so that Assange has actually done something illegal, says it all. He hasn't done anything illegal, and he hasn't stolen any information. He was given information, and is sharing it. That's it.

What he has done may not be good for the stability of relationships between governments, but the only thing that should be happening right now is that countries need to improve their own security of documents, not blaming this guy for the poor security of their data and files.

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Lol, wow, this just shows that you really have no clue about wikileaks other than what the mainstream media chooses to pick up on.

Wikileaks is not based out of that bunker, that just happens to be one really cool place that they are paying for server space. There are at least a few other places they are paying for space as well. The organization wasn't "built" inside that bunker.

5. samiwas macrumors 65816

I could easily be wrong, and some other photos of the space would help...but the pics linked in the OP just look fake to me. Like they were done in a 3d modeling program with really bad ambient light settings.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

lol......you're right

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That is an actual server room in an old bunker, but to suggest that it is somehow the headquarters of Wikileaks is laughable and downright misinformed. That location is just like any other server business, they rent out server space to whomever pays for it. The location, while being extremely cool, is mainly because its a good reuse of an old bunker, its secure, and provides very good cooling properties (which is vital for such operations).

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The photos are at least extremely well lit. Either somebody took a lot of time and effort to light it and to bring out every little detail or you might be on to something there. This wasn't merely somebody wandering in and snapping off a few shots.

The photos are credited to Lipka/RexFeatures/Austral.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

[/"Top Secret"]

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Isn't that the same as saying someone gave me a stolen computer, I didn't steal it so it is ok if I use it. Sure the documents were handed to him but they are still top secret and he knew that. Yes, the government should do a better job in keeping their secrets hidden but that also doesn't mean that they can be published for the world to see.

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

These "photos" are quite funny.

Too right!

It's not really the same thing but why shouldn't there be more published clarity for the world to see? If these governments don't have any decent explanations for their shady dealings then maybe they shouldn't be so goddamn shady. Countries shouldn't be allowed to be a global pain in the ass without being asked some uncomfortable questions for it. Power and accountability rightfully come hand in hand.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You need to look into what rights the media and whistleblowers have.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Does the media have the right to release top secret documents? Sure we have freedom of the press and the freedom of information but does that extent to top secret documents. If the media is given access to everything then classified documents would be illegal. I don't see that happening.

Do we have the right to look at Apples trade secrets because the media has a duty to look at it?

I am all for government openness but I don't see it happening, and it will just get harder now because of the way wikileaks went about it. The government will just clamp down harder now.

14. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Ultimately, it is the people that get to decide what should be top secret. Otherwise, what prevents the government from spying on the people and then classifying the info to hide it away ?

Government should always be accountable to the people for any actions they pose. The people have a right to know. We shedded monarchy for democracy a long time ago, and that means that elected government needs to be as transparent as possible.

How does that even apply here ? Apple is a private company. Wait, let me rephrase that, Apple is a publicly traded company. The only people it needs to be accountable to is its share holders. The media does not represent the share holders, they have other means to get the information and if a majority of them decide Apple is not doing things in their favor, they will force change at Apple through the board of directors.

So you're one to just accept things as they are because you don't want to put effort into changing them for the better. Good for you, but don't step on people trying to make a difference in this world.

I think what everyone is missing in this US led propaganda attack is that the leak itself isn't important, it's that there was something to leak in the first place. If the government doesn't want its dirty laundry exposed on the public place, they need to clean up their act, not try to hide it away more securely.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't buy that Assange is some whistleblower doing it for the good of the people, he has an agenda. If you have information release it, don't turn it into a media frenzy.

Apple is a publicly traded company, the government is funded by tax payers. So whats the difference?

Do I want to know what the governments around the world are hiding, sure. Will we ever find out, doubtful.