Wikileaks is Evil. Chapter III: Syria

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Sep 9, 2016.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Read it all on Gizmodo:

Not for the simple-minded. But to sum it up, Wikileaks boasts about the way it champions openness and transparency. But somehow gets all pissy when it comes to publishing documents that show the fundamental criminality of Putin's Russia.

I wonder why?

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. chown33 macrumors 604

I can still take leaks without consulting a Wiki, thanks anyway.

4. Jess13, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016

Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Interesting. Thank you for posting it.

First, the Gizmodo piece is written by an anti-Trump [1][2][3][scroll timeline for RTs], likely Hillary supporter. Second, in the source story from DailyDot, you find:

http://www.dailydot.com/layer8/wikileaks-syria-files-syria-russia-bank-2-billion/

By the fall of 2011, the Syrian government had lost control over most of its computer networks—presuming it ever had control to begin with. So thoroughly “owned” was the regime of President Bashar al-Assad, whom Russia currently backs in Syria’s ongoing civil war, that by late October one hacker declared mastery over “all forms of IP traffic” in the country.​

That’s funny, it’s a mostly foreign invasion by thousands of terrorists and jihadists bankrolled and armed by Obama, CIA, Saudis, Qataris, Israelis, Turks.

In response to a request for comment, WikiLeaks said the preceding account “is speculation and it is false.” The spokesperson continued: “The release includes many emails referencing Syrian-Russian relations. As a matter of long standing policy we do not comment on claimed sources. It is disappointing to see Daily Dot pushing the Hillary Clinton campaign’s neo-McCarthyist conspiracy theories about critical media.” (WikiLeaks threatened to retaliate against the reporters if they pursued the story: “Go right ahead,” they said, “but you can be sure we will return the favour one day.”)​

It is possible the WikiLeaks spokesperson’s lying, but with pro-Hillary media operatives relentlessly playing the “Putin did it!” deflective “defense,” it is possible that the spokesperson’s being truthful.

A few days after discovering the Syrian–Russian bank emails, one of RevoluSec’s principal hackers—the others often sought this individual’s permission before making any drastic moves—offered up another idea: “It’d be so funny to change some details on these mails and send a hundred million to WikiLeaks,” they said. “I know in theory it shouldn’t work, but they’re so stupid about email.”

The hacker collective suggesting they should alter files, even though this altering would be in WikiLeaks’ favor it is something that should be mildly concerning.

While there’s no evidence RevoluSec acted on the suggestion, which in all likelihood was a joke, the mere mention by an actual WikiLeaks source of concealing counterfeit emails within a legitimate leak touches on concerns about the website’s practice of publishing en masse the unverified and anonymously sourced material it receives.​

Asked about the possibility it could be duped, WikiLeaks responded flatly: “All Syria files obtained by WikiLeaks have been published and are authentic.”​

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

@vrDrew continues to wage war on wiki leaks because they expose his political favorites secrets.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Seems pretty odd they excluded an email on a transfer to Russia though?

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I feel this is all a corollary of our advances in technology - surveillance technology in particular. The fact that humans are still idiots should come as no surprise. I don't see a conspiracy - I see people playing with something they don't understand.

8. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Even if they did who cares? We know Russia is corrupt. I want to know how my own government (and governments of the West) is corrupt.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Who cares? It shows them to be a stooge of the Russians.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Lmao. Kill the messenger if you don't like the message.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Pretty much the MO of many on this board.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Can't the message be made on a more neutral source?

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Doubt there is such a thing.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Fox News?

15. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Even if they were I don't care. I want to know my government is corrupt and in what ways.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

A stooge of Russia won't tell you that to any degree of certainty.

17. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

So far they have so maybe they aren't a stooge of Russia then.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Democratic underground could be the ones reporting it and liberals would still have a fit

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How do you know all the information they've leaked is truthful? How do you know it isn't missing out harmful details about Russia?

20. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

21. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Don't care about harmful details about Russia. I care about harmful details about the West. And I can judge the truthfulness by the amount of freaking out the West does over the leaks.

22. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, that's hardly like to give you a particularly accurate or realistic view of the world you live in. It's like the gambler who only tells you about the jackpots he wins; while neglecting to mention the thousands of losses he accrued.

The United States government was very angry about the Bradley/Chelsea Manning leak of State Department cables. Not because they showed evidence of wrongdoing or corruption (they didn't) - but because they revealed our diplomats' candid (if sometimes unflattering) private opinions of the foreign government figures they had to work with.

The State Department cables served precisely zero purpose other than to embarrass the United States.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Democrats have not denied any of it, he'll they resigned because of it

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Governments never confirm or deny military secrets.

25. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Russia has the GDP of Italy. They are trying the rebuild. Trump wants peace with Russia and an alliance to fight against the globalist creation Al Qua.. oh wait now it's ISIS... same people created them!

The globalists hate Russia because Putin told the Rothchilds to get the **** out of Russia along with the other globalist bankers. Trump hates these financial terrorists as well.

The globalists control both parties and all the media, which is why even the establishment statists at Fox are anti-Trump. You didn't see that with Romney or McCain. They were pro-RINO then. LOL