Wikileaks: PBS submits to Ben Affleck's 'improper infliuence'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jun 25, 2015.

1. aaronvan, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Man, can you imagine PBS bowing to pressure to cut a segment on conservative's great-great-great grandfather who owned slaves?

Yea, neither can I.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/b...nfluence-pbs-suspends-finding-your-roots.html

I don’t know what is worse: Ben Affleck using white privilege to bulldoze Dr. Henry Louis Gates, Jr. into censoring the story, or a black scholar like Dr. Gates willingly obfuscating black history to protect this rich white guy.

Furthermore, if this tenured Harvard scholar willingly ignored pertinent facts on this story, does that not call into question all of his his previous scholarship?

Lastly, what kind of Guilty White Liberal trip is Ben Affleck on? Who in their right mind would be that embarrassed about their 200-year-old ancestors?

2. APlotdevice, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

One of my great grandfathers... specifically the one whose last name was passed on to me... was KKK. Some of his ancestors were slave owners. These are dark chapters in my family history, but I see no reason to hide them.

3. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Ditto. My paternal great-grandfather was KKK and I have the photographs. Not proud, not ashamed. It is just history. When my dad was a kid in the 40s, he asked gramps why he left the KKK and his answer was: "I didn't like how they treated colored people." That could be rose-colored revisionism; however, it was Michigan which was never a Klan stronghold. Also, the Michigan Klan's animus was as much anti-Catholic as anti-black.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I know one of my grandfathers on my dad's side of the family was a Confederate soldier. Dad has his honorable discharge papers on a plaque in his den.

On mom's side of the family? I remember hearing that I might've had some distance relatives who were in the SS.

Everyone has a few dark spots in their family history. I'll admit to mine, because after everything is said and done, it has absolutely no effect on who I am.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, sigh. Now, while I admit that I never much cared for the guy, (as an actor, the word that comes to mind is 'wooden') I must concede that Ben Affleck has not exactly covered himself in glory on this one.

There is a certain narcissistic, self-indulgent male mindset which you find in a certain specific type of egocentric liberal male who thinks the suffering is more about him, and his traumatised reaction to such revelations, than it is about the story that has been unravelled.

Of course, they are missing the point. Entirely. Actually, almost invariably, they are missing several points...

6. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I like his movies ("Hollywoodland" and "Gone Baby Gone" were perfect noir) but I get the impression he isn't the brightest guy to come out of Boston.

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Didn't you say you were Jewish? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I wholeheartedly disagree with your conclusion. My 10th great grandmother was the fourth person to be hung as a witch in British North America, (1650). Her husband, as a result moved with his three kids to the colony of Rhode Island. If she hadn't been hung, he wouldn't have moved and his gr, gr, gr, gr grandson might not have moved to Canada and the 4th great grandson's granddaughter might not have married the guy in my avatar and I might not be here today.

When researching my family history, I was embarrassingly proud that NONE of my ancestors were in the USA during the Civil War. I somehow seemed to ignore the incredibly racist attitudes of many of their descendants.

Each and every one of us are indelibly shaped by those who came before us. I'm in no way claiming that because we might have racist ancestors that we might end up racist as well. It might happen but then again, at least in my case, the exact opposite happens.

Those who ignore history....

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Obvious the choices of my ancestors have had a direct influence on my life today. I could list a number of things my grandparents have done that steered the course of my entire family, and ultimately determined the life I was born into. The same is true of my great grandparents, and so on and so on. But that's going a bit more indepth than my what I intended.

The bolded is what I was trying to convey. Their attitudes and beliefs have absolutely no influence on my outlook on life. Knowing that I had an ancestor who might've been a tried and true believer of slavery, or another who may have possibly been a guard at a concentration camp doesn't shame me in any way, because it's not me. I can see their mistakes. I can learn from them. But I'll never take them personally. The only thing we have in common is our bloodline. Our minds are our own.

10. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Who cares, the past is the past. Try to make a difference for the future.

11. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

LOL, Judaism is passed down the maternal line; I'm jewish because my mother was jewish, who was jewish because her mother was jewish, etc etc.

My great-grandfather probably would not have been happy with his grandson's choice in women. :p

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Of course, you also had four thousand and ninety five other tenth great-grandparents who were not hanged as witches. And it seems more than possible that a couple of them may have been doing a little witch-burning and hanging themselves.

Not trying to be snarky. But it ought to be remembered how many direct ancestors we have (let alone cousins, aunts, etc.) if we go back more than a couple of generations. I'm sure we all have a few skeletons in our genealogical closets.

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This story reminds me of that Barbara Streisand episode, the more that you try to hide something the more you draw attention to it.

Welcome to the internet age.